HybridZ

Drift Day 33

boate

This past Sunday I participated in my first Drift Day at Irwindale Speedway in my srZ. It was a blast to practice endlessly in the figure-8 skidpad and then to go and run on the actual D1 course 20 or so times. Needless to say, I was the only s30 (or pre-1984 car for that matter) out there, but everyone gave a lot of support and kudos. Overall, it was the time of my life and I can't wait to get back out there. Here is one pic my friend took and as soon as my roommate gets his camera situated I should have more pics and video to share:

DriftDay33.jpg

Boate'

sorry for not giving some heads up. my life has been insane this past month and I haven't even been on hybridz for over a month (a sin, I know). Drift Day is putting on a "Z and G Day" in August though for 350z's and G35's, but I asked the organizer Naoki if he would accept an O.G. Z and he said that he would honor it, although the entrance will be a lil' more (since the 350 and G35 guys can prob. afford it). I would really like to go and would love to get some more s30 guys out there. Let me know!

How does your car handle? I talked to Dave Sholtz he said the 240z has too light a rear end and it's hard to keep it sideways. Your opinions?

Also, What sort of suspension are you running? Usually drift events are easier with really stiff setups. And what about LSD? Let us know which one you're running!

(Can you tell I'm interested in drifting my Z?)

First time I've seen a S30 sideways on Irwindale's big bank! Kudos!

personally i'm of the opinion that ANY car can be drifted. Now, sure not all cars drift equally it just means certain cars and setups require thier own style of drift and driving.

But i'm VERY curious to see what you're running for a setup and I REALLY want to see more pics.

Personally i've stuck to wet drifting thus far in my ZX. I plan to attend a drift day event sometime in the future once I've got a stable reliable car and some extra money for plenty of tires :D

Right now I am running with virtually stock suspension (tokico lowering springs), an sr putting down roughly 230whp, and a powerbrute 3.9 lsd. I definitely had enough power to get the back end out and keep it there at any speed with just a clutch kick and throttle modulation. The biggest problem I encountered was a lot of body roll, making transitions difficult - but that's where a roll cage and coilovers will make a huge difference. Other than that, it started understeering towards the end of the day as my front tires wore down, so I tried to compensate by feinting more and using the handbrake. I was very surprised by how long my back tires lasted though. I drove to the track with some already worn down Federal beater tires, and after a ridiculous amount of abuse, they still have tread! I would even use them for the beginning of the next event. My roommate is slacking with his camera, but I promise I'll have more pics and hopefully a short vid up soon.

Right now I am running with virtually stock suspension (tokico lowering springs), an sr putting down roughly 230whp, and a powerbrute 3.9 lsd. I definitely had enough power to get the back end out and keep it there at any speed with just a clutch kick and throttle modulation. The biggest problem I encountered was a lot of body roll, making transitions difficult - but that's where a roll cage and coilovers will make a huge difference. Other than that, it started understeering towards the end of the day as my front tires wore down, so I tried to compensate by feinting more and using the handbrake. I was very surprised by how long my back tires lasted though. I drove to the track with some already worn down Federal beater tires, and after a ridiculous amount of abuse, they still have tread! I would even use them for the beginning of the next event. My roommate is slacking with his camera, but I promise I'll have more pics and hopefully a short vid up soon.

Very cool I want to go out there with you, I've been playing at the parking lot at work but thats about it, I need suspension and brakes but hell if you going out there on stock suspension, maybe I should be down too..

our 240z drift machine is almost complete, and ready for pro competition,

i found the biggest thing for us other than suspension and lsd, is steering angle, the s30 gets very little steering angle, to counter this, we modified the steering rack to have 1.5 inch more rod travel..now we get deeper angle and pull out of it without hitting the steering lock

Some of the steering angle problem may be because of the seat position on the z giving you a false sense of yaw. I read an article describing how a driver from the D1 series was given a new car by his sponsor, and it took a long time to adjust because the new car had it's driver's position set back from the original car, and the driver felt like he was getting more angle than he actually was. Just a thought, because being so close to the rear end of the z makes any swinging out seem much more dramatic than it may actually end up being.

our 240z drift machine is almost complete' date=' and ready for pro competition,

i found the biggest thing for us other than suspension and lsd, is steering angle, the s30 gets very little steering angle, to counter this, we modified the steering rack to have 1.5 inch more rod travel..now we get deeper angle and pull out of it without hitting the steering lock[/quote']

please, everyone here is very suspicious of you.

i WANT to believe the car you're talking about is real but I can't help but raise an eyebrow at every one of your posts.

just post some pics. SOME PROOF that you aren't bull$hitting us!!

b sosick you can appoligise very soon...when its finished. lol. . a friend took some pics and they will be up soon.

as for steering rack, just look at the cars natural turning radius, it kinda blows...what we did is have a new rod machined longer and more teeth cut into it. also we cut some of material off the ends of the rack body and used a jam nut to adjust and stop over travel...we have effectively and safely doubled our steering angle. this way we can get good amounts of angle without excessive toe out..

the main reason we did this mod was to be much more consistant, if you can get more steering angle, you are more likely to avoid spinning by having more countersteer..ive hit the steering stops a few times thinking i had some more steering left..but dident....errrrrrrrr spin

if you posted pics right this very second I wouldn't apologize.

b sosick you can appoligise very soon...when its finished. lol. . a friend took some pics and they will be up soon.

as for steering rack' date=' just look at the cars natural turning radius, it kinda blows...what we did is have a new rod machined longer and more teeth cut into it. also we cut some of material off the ends of the rack body and used a jam nut to adjust and stop over travel...we have effectively and safely doubled our steering angle. this way we can get good amounts of angle without excessive toe out..

the main reason we did this mod was to be much more consistant, if you can get more steering angle, you are more likely to avoid spinning by having more countersteer..ive hit the steering stops a few times thinking i had some more steering left..but dident....errrrrrrrr spin[/quote']

Boate: You get a big thumbs up!

Drift240z: You get the gas face. (who's old school enough to remember that song?)

I really want to enter one of these drift day events with the Camo zzzap! when they come around, but because they are pretty much always hosted by www.tamparacing.com (an annoyingly elitist forum local to me-which I don't frequent and am not a member of) I never hear about them until it's too late. Maybe I should try to get some heads together to get one started....b_sosick, how far would you drive the Magnum ZI to put the smack down?