HybridZ

Pics from a small car meet.

wigenOut-S30

We had a small carmeet this past saturday night. It was pretty fun.. On to the pics.. I cannot remember the guys name who took the photo's but MAAAAAAAAAAAN.. he was not bad.. I think this is the best pic of my Z EVER!!.

_MG_5189.jpg

_MG_5210.jpg

And he got some Pics of J-taylors RBZ and Ivans Z. Here are the rest of the pics..

_MG_5202.jpg

_MG_5197.jpg

_MG_5184.jpg

_MG_5211.jpg

Is that Ivan's car with the cowl hood? I might need to make those slots on the side of mine also to address a cooling issue.

Yeah its Ivans car. He got ahold of these a long time ago.. Steve( quicker 240) also has them. Ivan had it molded into the hood. I blieve they were some factory option on the 240Z if I am not mistaken.

Yeah its Ivans car. He got ahold of these a long time ago.. Steve( quicker 240) also has them. Ivan had it molded into the hood. I blieve they were some factory option on the 240Z if I am not mistaken.

yep, a factory option hood scoop to cure a vapor lock problem.

Is the back of that scoop (facing windshield) open like the sides? Sorry Gabe, not meaning to steal your thread but really need to get some valuable info.

No the back is not open like the sides. but I am sure you could cut it open.. not sure about the structure of it then though.

You could cut the back open no problem but I think I would cut single round holes in a line.There is a reinforcing peice of wood I expect,molded into the center of the bonnet running front to rear.Its about 2 inches wide,1/2 inch thick,that might be in the way of an "oval" slot.You can check mine out at SEZS if you want.

Here is the story.

I am using a Capri hood scoop turned backwards so the original opening in the front now faces the windshield. Around town I have no cooling issues despite a 4" thick FMIC, B&M Supercooler and OEM RX7 oil cooler all in front of the radiator (AFCO 24x19 w/Taurus fan). However, as soon as I get on the highway for a little distance, the temperature creeps up to 205+. Once I get off the highway, even if I end up stuck in traffic, the temp will start coming down. My conclusion is that pressure from the base of the windshield is being forced into the scoop at speed and actually prevents hot air from escaping. If I had those openings on the side of the hood, they might help the hot air escape even at speed. I wonder how that scoop would look with round holes running down the side of it?

While 205* does not concern me much, on a long trip like to the SEZ, that means my Taurus fan will not turn off for the whole trip. Recently I had the fuse get so hot that it melted the plastic fuse holder and the fan quit working and badly overheated the engine. Do not want that to happen again.

alumhood_thumb.jpg

I had the same thing happen once.I feel stupid to mention it,but,I had the fan wired backwards one time and my car did the same thing.Fine at idle(blowing air back through the radiator),overheating slowly on course(fan trying to push against air moving through radiator in moving car).I thought the air at the base of the windshield in a moving car was LOW pressure(I.E. would SUCK air out of the engine compartment) ,and was easier for an intake to get at.Now I'm confused again dang it! Your diagnosis seems backwards to me.