HybridZ

1971 240z restoration PICS

Hey I live in Temecula, just bought a 71 240z and this is such a great post to read... Hope you guys in the IE can help with my restoration... Wicki let us know when it's finish so we can mabe head out and see... oh, and if you can please hook me up with your painter I'd appreciate it...

• 2 weeks later...

The rust bullet works great. I would suggest that if you put some in the engine bay that you use a spray gun instead of a brush since yuo can see the brush strokes. Also were a mask with the carbon filters lots of fumes from the paint. Wear some gloves if you get the paint in your skin and it dries your going to be wearing that paint for a week not even scrubbing works. Im going to be using it again on my dads 1964 Ford galaxie restoration

great! :D

they also have a blak-kote which is an automotive undercarriage protectant, like the bed liner, but not as rough.

the person who sold me the rust bullet is one of the only distributors in Canada, and he actually used to work for the POR company, and switched sides after he came in contact with Silver Bullet while doing chemical research on various protectant paints and armour coats.

This thing is looking killer man. I can't wait until I can start putting mine back together!

On a side note, x2 on the rust bullet recommendation. Awesome stuff for sure. I found out the hard way on the brush strokes, though. I did my engine compartment first, and now I'm gonna have to smooth it out and repaint with a top coat.

Keep up the good work! I can't wait to see it finished!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchase some 120 sq.ft of RAAMmat BXT for $237.01 total. Its a butyl base with asphalt for thickness. I was going to go with Fatmat extreme rattle trap which is cheaper thicker but it is asphalt base which i don't want the smell.. Im going to cover all of the inside of the car i want it as quite as possible. also i just got some carpet padding which is about 1/2 thick and some new auto carpet at $27.00 a yard it should be good. Since this is going to be a daily driver I want to be comfortable as possible. I also order a few weeks back ROSS 240z Aluminum Hubs with 0 offset with a custom chevy bolt pattern 5x4.75 i cant wait to receive them.

DAMN you are crusin on that thing.......If I wasn't married I would be able to pour money into my 240 but there is something about 5'7" standing in my way..........It is looking sweet. I have for the longest time been trying to decide betwen white or orange for my repaint but I think you have me leaning to white again.....

I just finished upholstering one of the sunvisors on the 240z I decided to used some left over headliner since it has 1/4 foam backing.

I used cardboard panel auto upholstery supplies stores have them. I cut 2 cardboard panels I used the sunvisor metal frame as a pattern. I upholster one of them with the sunvisor frame attached and the other panel I sew by hand. Here are the original pictures of the sunvisor and after pictures. headliner is black.

240zrestorationcarpicturesandfamilly_2911.JPG

bottom sunvisor is the new one. VVV

240zrestorationcarpicturesandfamilly_2921.JPG

240zrestorationcarpicturesandfamilly_2941.JPG

240zrestorationcarpicturesandfamilly_2951.JPG

240zrestorationcarpicturesandfamilly_2961.JPG

The only thing that I can suggest it that you nee dto remember where all of your holes are for your screws and other attachments. I would try to seal up or cover evry piece of metal that you can. the Cieling and the roof make a HUGE differance. See if you can get a sound deadener spray from Stinger , use that to spray the door skins......This stuff makes the car feel more solid by a long shot.....