HybridZ

L28e To L28et Swap

AE2ZX

It might be worthwhile to hunt the junkyards for several months until you find a junkyard LSD R200

a little too much optimism there. I've been looking in the yards in Washington and I have some other Datsun guys who are not into Z's checking for ANY turbo 300ZX. I have not found one single 87-89 turbo in 7 YEARS! not even one that already had the LSD removed... they are super, super rare up here and the northwest is just crawling with Z-cars and old Datsuns

That is why the price has gone up to the point where you can practically buy a new one for a little more

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

its funny a friend of mine just got a 88 n/a red on red ttop 300zx .

for $800.00 bucks motor doent sound all that good but the body is clean no dents and the paint is top notch ..he is going to swap motors just staying with the n/a setup .. my other freinds dAD is into zcarts aswell ..he has three lsd's each one has a differnt geARing setup ..he wont sell he ant having it:evil:

i tryed and tryed and tryed in fact everytime i see that kid i sAY something about it to him .....the last time i was like "get me one of your dad's lsd's":icon45: ...

he smiled and said "$50 bucks":flamedevi ...

i about craped my self .....

he smiled and then said "just kidding":flamedevi ............:emo:

I really shouldn't mention this... but I used to see lots of the 87-89 turbo cars at junkyards in my area. Now that I know what they're worth I stop by yards as often as I can. And there's still plenty in the SF bay area for the picking. I see at least 1 a week on the road it seems. I tend to come across one every other month in the junkyard, sometimes with the diff.

They're out there, but it seems there's a possability they're all in the SF area :D

I really shouldn't mention this... but I used to see lots of the 87-89 turbo cars at junkyards in my area. Now that I know what they're worth I stop by yards as often as I can. And there's still plenty in the SF bay area for the picking. I see at least 1 a week on the road it seems. I tend to come across one every other month in the junkyard, sometimes with the diff.

They're out there, but it seems there's a possability they're all in the SF area :D

well grab one up for me anytime :mrgreen:

Guest alex280z

im currently doing a turbo swap on my stock shortblock wondering if i use turbo pistons and rods what ill have to do to my block (BORE?) will this set up work with my stock crank??

Depends on the block. What year is it from? Does it have the flat top or dished pistons? What cylinder head do you have? All these things matter.

You'll want a P series head, prefferably the P90. A P90 on a stock bottom from any year will yield a good setup. If it's a flat top piston block (had the P79 head) it will have a higher compression wich will be good for the lower boost applicatinos. If you have an older (N47 or other cylinder head) then you've got flat top pistons that aren't quite as good as the turbo pistons but the same spec for compression, so you'll have good boost potential but you won't be able to run quite as much as a stock turbo block.

I personally think if you're going to replace pistons you should just go with something high end to begin with, unless you're only going for moderate power (i'd consider anything bellow 300hp moderate). If you're really not looking for a ton of power you could probly just stick with the stock pistons. People have turbo'ed all kinds of setups with the L series and they all have thier pros and cons.

But as far as wich is best I'll leave that up to the experts of L tech.

ya, send an LSD up here anytime. Even just the LSD clutch pack out of one. I have an R200 to put it into. :D I'll pay you for it.

Send two. I have another R200 I can give to Mr. 81 Black turbo

oh, and I once saw a red 1988 300ZX Turbo. Whole car, ran but had electrical problems. Guy wanted $1000 obo. Very, very tempting but I had no money... this was last summer.

yea but if you have lots of knowledge of rebuilding diffs then you could actually do power brute swaps yourself and make some goond money ebaying them for even more than the standard R200 CLSD units.

Trust me guys, if I was just finding them left and right, I'd be happy to pass the deals onto you guys. But, I don't find them everyday and I'm a bit short on cash. I can link you guys to the ebay listings when I get them :D

Guest alex280z

im hoping to use brand new flat top pistons for 80s zxturbo and rods. i have 78 block. i already have my turbo system setup but want to rebuild my lower end susing stock bore, i am currently using a p90 solid lifter head with a garret t3/t4 turbo, greddy exhaust, greddy rs bov

exhaust leak on #one piston is now fixed ..i got the bolt out of there jbwelded a stud in and let it sit over night .locked a nut on to there this moring and reinstalled my dissy do right ..and now no leak :twisted: much better pull in the low end , cleaner smelling and doesnt sound like a truck .:icon14:

ya it was pretty bad .. i could here it and feel it if i put my hand down there ..

all better now :burnout:now i got to fix the one under the car its a small one about half way back ..iam going to cut out the faultly section where i installed this stupied test pipe and weld in a new peace ...

stupied exhaust leak came back .the stud isnt holding worth a crap .

so lame if i could find a old school header style turbo manifold .

i would swap it out and try to rethread that hole .:? f-ing jbweld cooked away :(.

owell iam going to live with it for now .it just sucks

There's a product on the market that's like JB weld but it's temp rating is much higher. I still wouldn't recomend that route as that's just a 'fix till it holds' route but it's still a more pro way of doing it. I wish I could remember what it was. I know there was a thred about it on HZ so if you search of jb weld i'm sure it'll come up as jb weld came up alot in the thread.

I think I found a product like that. JB weld style but it said it was for exhaust manifolds. I used a bit of it to hold in an oxygen sensor in my headers that I had put on the NA engine. It too burned away after a while. I then had a shop weld on the O2 flange and it lasted for years. (never failed, but I took the engine out) :D

i drilled it tapped it out .put a stud in torked it down front bolt and back bolt .

it made it less but its still there ..this manifold is warped for sure :?or the gasket is crap.

the only way to fix it now is to take my head off flip it on its side remove all the manifold bolts turbo all that stuff .

have this manifold surfaced or ........

i emailed greddy mabe they will answer .

asking them if they will weld me up one of there manifolds ...ether way i will have to pull the head off , two of the heads on the bolts that lock the manifolds together are stripped .

well i guess i will get a 1mm headgasket new manifold gasket and get dirty.:twisted:

inc001.jpg