HybridZ

any pic of "slotting the strut tower"

i have read so many posts on slotting the strut tower for more camber but i have yet to see a pic of the "proceedure" completed.. does anyone have a pic handy? also, am i assuming correctly that this can be done just on the front as i don't recall any mention of slotting the rear tower. if this is a stupid question, please excuse.... nubee..... p.s... i love this site!!!!!

Do you have coil overs? If you have stock diameter springs, I don't think there is much room for the springs to move inside the towers. The procedure would involve elongating the bolt holes for the upper mount with a die ginder or whatever in the direction of the engine. It could be done to just the front or back or both (rear tires like camber too)

Personally I would cut the fronts inward to achieve more camber but the rears have plenty of camber. I would slot the rears outwards to have less camber. That is for a Z that is seriously low though. Coilovers are a must. There is not enough space for the stock struts to move much at all.

i do not have coilovers..... i did lower the car and i'm in the process of getting the wheels to sit better before i align it. the rear tire is toe in pretty far so i guess i'll order some offset bushing.... not excited about a rough ride though..... maybe i'll just bite the bullet and install some rear control arms. that should fix it and still have a nice ride...? is this correct? thanks for the input!!!!

I am just going to convert my ghetto coilovers to have some real top hats and camber plates. The technotoytuning kit is like $440 to convert my Z from stock modified hats to new aluminium hats and camber plates. Plus it will extend my struts another inch or so for more travel thus allowing me to lower the car more and still have plenty of travel left in my pricey illuminas.

twoeightnine, nice threads.... great info from all!! since i don't have coilovers, i'm guessing i will only be able to "slot" the struts 1/4" or so??? front strut = slot towards the engine (decrease pos camber) and rear strut = toward outside of car (decrease neg camber)... thanks

twoeightnine, nice threads.... great info from all!! since i don't have coilovers, i'm guessing i will only be able to "slot" the struts 1/4" or so??? front strut = slot towards the engine (decrease pos camber) and rear strut = toward outside of car (decrease neg camber)... thanks

I can tell you from personal experiance that if you move your struts away from their stock position without haveing something like a pillow ball to keep things from binding you will break the top threaded portion of your strut off the first time you make an aggresive turn or hit a major bump a little to hard. After learning that lesson the hard way I bit the bullet and purchased camber plates and coil overs. If you want the adjustment the expense is worth it.

Dragonfly