HybridZ

Z31 Body Kit

Turbo Meister

Went to the Bodykits etc location, however, the company had moved a block away to 2012 Old Temescal Dr in Corona. It is in a brand new industrial park in spacious facilities.

I spoke to the owner, Samir Rai,. He explained that the location is only for sales and distribution of the kits. There were 2 other persons in the building and they were constantly on the phones. From what I overheard, their internet prices were very flexible and much negotiation was occuring.

Samir showed me the storage room and allowed me to take a few pics.( I will e-mail the pics to anyone interested because I don't want to clutter up my photo gallery with boring pics).

He said that the actual manufacturing of kits is accomplished in the City of Industry(near East LA). He did not give me the address but would allow me to inspect the plant in his presence. They do not allow just anyone on their premises due to proprietary security reasons.

He stated they have owned the business for 6 years and have produced more than 50 body kits for group buys. They have no Z kits but their biggest commercial customer is Saturn Motorsports. Their best selling kit is for a Maxima that he designed. Currently, the City of Industry plant is making kits for a new Mustang and Caddilac. Their body kits and parts are on display at any import car show throughout the US and their website, www.bodykits.org.

For a custom Z kit he would need 10 orders for $650 each. The donor vehicle owner would receive the prototype kit for free. It would take 3-4 weeks to create the kit from the submitted drawings. The 10 kits would not take longer than 8 weeks to complete from the time the donor car is dropped off.

He requires 30% of the 10 car price to begin the process. The kits would then be shipped in very large boxes ( I have seen many homeless live in smaller ones). Shipping payment is $85 to any business or $115 to any private address and is not due until delivery.

The kit includes front, rear, and side parts. The quoted price is for a basic custom kit. Anything complex is more expensive as is the installation of screens. I know nothing about body kits and I don't want one, so I'm not a good judge of the kit parts I saw. But there didn't appear to be any obvious flaws in the ones there.

I also know nothing about this kind of business but my impression was that there is too much emphasis on showing and selling of items and the actual manufacturing is just an afterthought. Samir was very pleasant and open about his business details. He is young and trying to make it big in a competitive yet lucrative endeavor. He admitted to existing previous negative internet comments about his business but stated it was a one-time occurance due to manufacturing snafus.

I believe he lied to me about one thing but I'm not sure. Probably to convince me that his current business location is " Permanent ", he stated he bought the building and is not leasing. This distribution facility would easily sell for a million or more dollars. While I was driving through this new industrial complex I noticed numerous "for Lease" signs but not one "for sale" sign in the entire industrial park.

Superficially, this company seems to be what they claim. However, for any serious interest, someone needs to check out the actual manufacturing facility. This should be someone who knows fiberglass component quality and is interested in getting a kit.

Hanns

It seems so tempting to send them some of the S30 drawings, but it just feels so suspect to me...I'd like a free bodykit, but it's like a real life pop-up ad or something.

Turbo-meister, that was really cool of you to check those guys out for everyone, above and beyond the call for real.

$650 for a full body kit is a pretty darn good price for a new kit! I wish there would have been some interest in this for the 280ZX's when I bought my MSA kit. Granted the kit is ok, I would have liked something more like the MSA 3 kitfor the GEN 1's.

If this does go through I would love to see some pics of the new design!

Guy

I know turbomeister is a well respected member here and I am sure he is 100% on the level. But damn it is funny this thread comes up now while there are two very similar threads in the tool shed.

Some funky mojo here.

It is because of the 2 toolshed threads that I decided to check the place out. I don't want a body kit for my Z but I thought the members might be interested if the place is legitimate. The owner said they would make a custom kit for any year Z for $650, if 10 can be sold. Although the original poster of the toolshed threads was initially too secretive about the body kit company, he provided more info later. I live near the location and decided to verify the info. I spent my own gas money and time to do this and have nothing to gain since I don't want a kit.

Hanns

And I'd like to chime in here for a second...

I appreciate members like Hanns taking the time to do the leg work on this. As I explained to another member, we simply WON'T start checking out and running down every business to confirm for our members that so and so or such and such is on the up and up.

We got our arses burned once on a little project and a television series on Speed. We won't be doing so again. We've got a reputation to defend, and there is a certain amount of moral responsability we take on when we allow vendors to sell their ware here... Bottom line is if they want to do business with our community, they should come here, set up an account and make a post about their products... others have, and so should they.

That said, Buyer beware, and again THANK YOU HANNS for doing the legwork and your honest assesment of the situation! :2thumbs:

Mike

What I wrote came off badly. Like I tried to say, not casting any doubt toward turbomeister and I apologize a thousand times if it came off that way.

I simply didn't realize the two sets of threads were related. You have to admit it would have been pretty weird if you had done this now out of the blue.

If there is a ZX wide body kit that needs more intrest to be created, include me. I definitally need to find a fiberglass wide body kit for the front and back of my 83 280zx.

or even just ZG flairs that are made to fit the s130.... that would be awesome.

edit: and i would undoubtedly buy a set.

I'm glad to see someone else is interested. I've been talking with two fabricators recently, both said they would be willing to take on the project if we had 10-30 people willing to make a deposit. Do you think there is enough interest for a 280zx wide body kit?

I'm glad to see someone else is interested. I've been talking with two fabricators recently' date=' both said they would be willing to take on the project if we had 10-30 people willing to make a deposit. Do you think there is enough interest for a 280zx wide body kit?[/quote']

HELL YES THERE IS

all it would take is a thread on zcar.com, and a thread here and we'd have at LEAST 10-30 takers.

WE WANT ZG's FOR OUR 280zx's!!!!!!