HybridZ

Aftermarket con rods

260DET

Eagles are a great rods for the money. I have installed many many sets into 4cyl honda motors making as much power as you're planning to. If you are looking to make 500hp on a 6 cyl motor, i woudln't hesitate to use a set of eagle rods.

The thing with eagles is they used to use smaller rod bolts (on the honda rods at least) a while back - but they have since (About 1-2 years ago) changed to ARP's that are the same size rod bolts found on the more expensive $ big name rods.

Richard - For a track car, I would go with Pauter or Carrillo. A friend recently had a bottom end come apart on a turboed Mopar 360, due to a failure of the threads on a Eagle rod. The threads pulled out of one side of the big end of the rod, leading to a holed cylinder and block, taking out the entire bottom end, and one head. He was only turning the engine to 6500. I can post a picture, it's not pretty. Those rods are forged in China, but allegedly machined in the US. I am working on an oil drill project that is struggling with quality issues from Chinese-made drill pipe and well casing material. It is the same problem, spec is right, material is questionable. Are those rods really 4340? - who knows. I was considering using Eagle rods for my upcoming RB project, but will be going with Pauter now. They are not much more money for the cost of the damage they can cause. Some import performance places have piston and rod combos that are quite reasonable in price. IPP is one of the places. I hear that there is quite a markup on engine parts by the time they get down under - maybe price them in the states and get them shipped.

For an L-series, I would rather use a stock rod that had been prepped, at least you know that the metallurgy is good and the quality is there. I don't have any experience with the V6 rods, so can't help you there.

Doug

http://www.sdsefi.com/features/aug06300zx.htm

This engine uses stock rods with ARP bolts, turns 7500rpm and has lasted for years as a daily driver. If you're going to spin it for extended periods, sport for the billets like Pauter or Carrillo. I had questions about the Pauter + beam rods at one time because they were "different". I have since come to the conclusion that they are very good, having spun them to over 11,000rpm in the RB26 and 13,000rpm in the 4AG with no rod or bearing failures. Solid engineering and very good machine work.

• 3 weeks later...

Have decided to use Scat rods, mainly because a local race Z32 uses them and has had no problems. Basically using aftermarket because they are lighter plus Scat and Eagle are not expensive. Relatively :)

Nice work on that Z32, thanks Matt.

Guest Jason84NA-T

I have purposefully disregarded Eagle rods as an option in all future builds due to the failures I have heard reported. While it's true ANY rod can fail, Eagle has apparently had a rash of failures since they decided to cut costs the easy way.

In my own SOHC VG engine I used VG30DETT rods with ARP rod bolts for just that reason (edit: which is making about 500whp). If someone were to request another rod besides stock for a VG buildup, my recommendation would probably be Pauter, Carillo, or BRC performance.

great... i bought a set to go in my vg30det that im spending an insane ammt of money on having the crankshaft lightened and other things.now after hearing this im second guessing my rod choice.

I don't know where that came from. If you look at the major import hitters, many of them are using Eagle rods and have nothing but good stuff to say. I've spun them in the SR20DET to 9500rpm. I have a 540cid Donovan BBC that makes 1350hp on the bench. 14:1 compression and 8000 rpm, uses an Eagle crank and rods. Look on the domestic forums and you'll read nothing but good stuff about the Eagle rods.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a tendency with some engine builders who are on a budget to scrimp a bit on engine assembly when a "good" part is purchased. Let's say engine builder 1 can't afford any aftermarket rods so he spends a lot of time making sure the OEM rods are prepared perfectly. Conversly, engine builder 2 can afford the best aftermarket rods so he just bolts them in after shaking the styrofoam packing off.

Later, engine builder 2 breaks a rod and now claims that "aftermarket rods from x" are crap. Meanwhile, engine builder 1 is racing away on his stock rods without any problems.