HybridZ

Rear groundcontrol coilover rattling

Finished a while ago and I have weird rattle from my driver side rear strut area

Only when going over big enough bumps, it seems like the top of the strut is loose and it keeps making a taping sound over bumbs, its really annoying.

Was I supposed to use washers in the rear? Do I need to use 2 on each side to take up the play? Almost seems like there is a bit of play in the top somewhere allowing it to move around and make annoying sounds

I agree with the other guys, and would also suggest that it may be that the strut is loose in the housing even with the gland nut tightened all the way down. This happened to me. The gland nut was tight, but the strut was still loose in the housing. The solution is to put a shim (like a thick washer) under the strut housing. The idea is that you want the gland nut TIGHT with 1 or 2 of the threads showing on the gland nut.

My EMI camber plates do this - well at least the passengers side does. Reach around and feel the top of the strut when you hit a bump and you can feel the top move up and down slightly. I'm pretty convinced mine is most likely from the spherical bearing moving up and down very slightly in the race but it could be the bearing itself is a little worn.

Thanks

Cameron