HybridZ

Worth $2000.....??

EvilC

Found this car and was thinking about picking it up... here is what the seller has told me in his own words:

The color is flat black out of a spray can right now. The previous owner had the car in tan primer after doing the body work, so I sanded it down and sprayed the black over it. The wheels are the late '80s 300zx wheels. All the miscellaneous trim pieces, bumpers, bumper supports, badges, gauges, etc etc etc are in my basement and go with the car. There's also a master set of poly bushings for the car that I have which you can take. Some more stuff about the car...it has a bigger than stock radiator and a Ford Taurus electric fan, which is a popular hot rod fan because it moves a ton of air. The car runs around 180-185 and a flick of the fan switch brings it down if you're sitting still. I have an autometer tach in the car for the V8, and just set up an autometer coolant gauge as a reference. The hood is pinned down now, but I have all the stock latches and whatnot. The motor has a holley 650 carb, vac secondaries single squirter, hei distributor, block hugger headers. You can see the fuel cell in the back of the car, all the carpeting was replaced and is new, the seats have no rips, the dash has the usual crack in the middle but other than that is in nice shape. The pics of the body show pretty well how straight the body is, all the fenders are rust free and straight as well.

Ok pics:

http://img335.imageshack.us/my.php?image=z12oh.jpg

http://img335.imageshack.us/my.php?image=z23no.jpg

http://img335.imageshack.us/my.php?image=z32ke.jpg

http://img335.imageshack.us/my.php?image=z46to.jpg

He sent me a few more and explain to me the tranny was shifting rough and it may just be the cable is too long? What do you guys think....I am thinking I can get home down to $1800...worth my time? Thanks

Clive

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have seen' date=' I would say hell yes.

Whats with the "cable" statement?

What cable?[/quote']

Please excuse my ignorance because I am learning here....

What cable would control the way the transmission shifts? Or cause it to shift hard? He said the "one" that is on the car right now is to long and with a shorter one, it should fix the problem. He says the car is driveable and he has put some miles on it. If I was to buy it, he would drive it to NYC, The Bronx which is 45 mins from him. That is still 5 hours from me at school but may be worth the drive..

Anyone wanna give a quick recap on how the tranny...and cables that are apart if the system works....take it easy on me! LoL

Thanks guys

I would assume it's a kickdown cable that he's talking about. When you drive an auto car that doesn't have an electric transmission controller and you step on it, you can actually feel with the last little bit of gas pedal a little click. This is because there is a cable from the throttle down to the side of the trans, and when you stomp on it it manually downshifts the trans. When I worked for Volvo we changed a lot of those on 240s and 740s IIRC. With a broken cable you'd stomp the gas and the thing would go to 3rd gear or 1:1, but would go down to 2nd gear to accelerate. Made the car a real slug.

Well that's a bit different than what I was thinking! Sorry for the bad info.

Hey it is ok, honestly I really do not need the car because I am working on my ls1 swap but I was thinking this one is almost all together..hey why not?! lol

Mike I think you are right on the money, and I will post more pics today when I see what the frame rails look like and such.

Hey it is ok, honestly I really do not need the car because I am working on my ls1 swap but I was thinking this one is almost all together..hey why not?! lol

Mike I think you are right on the money, and I will post more pics today when I see what the frame rails look like and such.

Are you planning on using the body instead of the one you have as a donor for the LS1 and selling yours? Unless you can afford to buy it and also have enough money to finish your current project, I would say pass on it. The $2000 will go a long way towards getting your LS1 project on the road.

I once made the mistake of spending money that was earmarked for one of my projects on another "good Deal" that I didn't need. It set me way back on my project and I ended up selling the "good deal" for the same money I paid for it about 6 months later. Not such a good deal.

Are you planning on using the body instead of the one you have as a donor for the LS1 and selling yours? Unless you can afford to buy it and also have enough money to finish your current project, I would say pass on it. The $2000 will go a long way towards getting your LS1 project on the road.

I once made the mistake of spending money that was earmarked for one of my projects on another "good Deal" that I didn't need. It set me way back on my project and I ended up selling the "good deal" for the same money I paid for it about 6 months later. Not such a good deal.

Well I am selling my Bmw and I am going to need a daily driver........I am still going to finish the Z by spring and sell this one when the time comes if I get it. I just think that car is just very clean for the price....also I have owned my Z for almost 2 yrs and neva drove it....I want to drive one already lol

email the pics to jaxz31@gmail.com. i'll host and post them happily.

but if you want. go register an account at http://www.photobucket.com. upload the pictures there and copy paste the pics' urls here.

Maybe I'm missing something but you no longer have to host a picture, you can upload from your computer to our photo gallery. I've seen this hosting problem mentioned in several threads and I'm amazed why people are not uploading right from their computer..

LARRY