HybridZ

when tragedy strikes

ZZZero

hello all,I know I dont post on here very often,

but none the less, I visit this site on a more than daily basis :).

Just wanted to share a recent accident I was involded in an get some opinons on the repairs.

I was hit pulling into the driveway of my home,

the driver of the other car was on the phone,he must of not been paying attention becuase there were no skid marks and he hit me at a good 30-40 mph.Later it was found out that he wasnt wearing his seat belt either.

but beyond that,the front right of his car nailed the rear right of mine as i was turning into my drivway spinning me about 130 degrees into my yard,

he then rolled into a nearby telephone pole,I was alright,but when I got to him he was laying on the ground next to his car,he was conscouis but was not very responsive to anything I said.

He ened up being alright, he was just in shock from the accident.

I have the feeling they will end up totaling out my car,

now heres the question I came to ask,would it be worth my time to purchase this car back from the impound lot,and try to repair it?

This car was my baby a pristine condition 1981 280zx n/a 5 speed.

also if they are to not total it out,how can i be assured everything gets fixed on my car?

a couple of things that arn't shown in these pictures is that the back left wheel(the one off the rim),well the rim now has positive camber

wich i would like to hope is a severly bent rim,

also what about the suspension and drivetrain?

how can i be assured everything is the exact way it should be?

the driver of the other car had already accepted full responsibility for the accident.

but i just want to try to make sure the insurance compant doesnt try to rape me seeing how this is the first accident iver ever been in.

Thanks.

I hope yall can give me some pointers.

TY.

10.jpg

9.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

For some reason the pics don't work...Do you know what the stated value of your car is, though? If the insurance is going to total it, I'd bet you could probably find another 81, possibly even a turbo in decent shape for not too much. Some people really like them, but enough people are indifferent to them that they aren't really commanding premium prices yet. Sorry to hear about your accident though, I hope you're alright?

The rear side of the quarter panel is actually smashed up agianst the tire,

the passenger door will probably not close if opened and the hatch will not open at all,

also in 04 the previous owner had around 4900$ worth of work done to it,including but not limited to all redone stock interior,all new stock suspension and bushings,and also new chrome trim.

on the reciepts for all this work one the milage show 184xxx and this work was done in 04 I havent had the car even 2 months yet,and odometer isnt even at 185xxx yet so I am hoping to be able to claim more money for the car by showing them the reciepts.

I know a majoroity of the work involved to make the repairs would have to be cut and paste from a donor 280zx,but my question is after a cut and paster repair is made would the car be safe to drive?

Let this phrase become your mantra when dealing with the insurance company:

I don't care what your book says it is worth - you owe me exactly what I HAD before your insured driver hit me - find me another car like mine in the same overall condition - that is what I had, and that is all that I want and will settle for.

I doubt very seriously that they won't total it - unibody is really tweaked.

Sorry for the accident - I posted a long time ago about the one I was in - and my mantra worked - they repaired it. All my receipts helped.

hah Belive me the idea had crossed my mind many times but im not the kind of person to want to sqeeze every dime out of this person over something like this,ill be happy as long as I'm payed in full for the value of my car by the insurance company,and my exspenses missing work,chiropracter visits ect.

I dont wanna leave this guy paying me a monthly payment when this is all over with

I belive people can learn from their mistakes,and hope this guy will,

If I were in your spot, I would definitely buy the car back. Then take your money from the insurance and find/buy the best condition ZX you can find, which most likely will have a bum interior as well as other issues that can be rectified with the parts from your current Z. Then strip the shell clean of anything remaining and you will have spare parts. Good luck!

Check the frame, suspension, etc. If those are okay, get the body as straight as you can and fix any rust. Then cover up any anomolous mishaping with a wide-body kit. If you ever decide to sell it, be sure to offer the buyer full disclosure.

Just a thought...

the driver of the other car had already accepted full responsibility for the accident.

I hope you got witnesses hearing him say that. The same thing happened to a buddy of mine maybe 3 months ago. Was backing out of his driveway and got hit. Swung is car around 180° and knocked him back into his front yard. No skid marks, figured the other car had to have been doing 40 MPH when they hit him. Can’t figure out how his was going that fast since his driveway was maybe 100 feet from an intersection with a stop sign. The couple got out of the car apologizing and saying they didn’t see him because they were arguing about money.

When the insurance companies got a hold of the accident reports and said it was my buddies fault since he was the one backing into the street. He had to cover both cars.