HybridZ

turbo

zspeed280

this isnt z related but i figured you guys were the ones to come to

heres the scoop:

Ive talked my step dad into dropping a junkyard turbo kit on his 3.9 dakota 2002.

i was curious what turbo would be a good turbo to go?

it will be off of an older car

300zx, turbo II , eclipse, volvo..which turbo would be good for mild lag?

hes not looking for a lot of horsepower just maybe up to 50 gain with low boost

Dont want to mess with the ecu, or fuel right yet

We work at a welding shops so material and fab help is no problem. im tryin to start the build for him at just over 500 dollars.

thanks guys

David

The stock t3 on our 280zxt should be a good start although I've long since been educated by this site that this is an internal wastegate turbo. There are ways to convert this to an external as done by 240hoke. Here is

his thread that has taught me a lot.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=108785

The t3 should be small enough to spool up mildly.

Not sure what you mean by a junkyard turbo kit. Your focus seems to be on the turbo and that is the easy part. You need exhaust manifolds and a crossover pipe, a downpipe and exhaust and none of those can be got from a junkyard. If you add an I/C, you will need custom plumbing. You will also need upgraded injectors and possibly mods to your engine management or an aftermarket like megasquirt.

you can have a lot more control external wastegate psi's. Internal wastegates, your almost stuck with factory settings although a lot of users here @ hybrid has successfully tweaked their internal wg's. Search if you want to know how they did it.

That's not really the reason. Ever heard of a BOOST CONTROLLER? :D External wastegates are usually larger than internal, and can flow more exhaust.