HybridZ

Anyone else running the air gap intake?

I dropped my engine in my 280z about a week ago. I am running the edelbrock air gap intake, which is a bit taller than the stock height intake. I don't have a hood now, but the stock hood of my 82 camaro would clear with this intake. A cowl hood would be cool, but spendy. I am not sure if the edelbrock low profile air filter (the kinda triangular one) set up will work with the stock hood. Another option is a carb scoop, like so...

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MRG%2D6658&N=700+%2D79441+115&autoview=sku

Any suggestions?

Hey Forces,

I have the air gap intake, a K&N 1 3/4 inch drop base 3 inch air filter assembly and it JUST clears my hood. Although I did have to use a 1/4 -20 nut and washer instead of a proper air cleaner wing nut for keeping it on the carb. Don't ask me how I know this, lets just say I have a ding on my hood now.:cry:

Image-FDE29FBAB53811D9_thumb.jpg

I also have the air gap with a JTR conversion. The engine is a clone of an Edelbrock 435HP crate motor except the heads which are Brodix IK200 for better 3000-6500 RPM flow. The 3 inch drop Edelbrock Air Cleaner barely clears the hood. I replaced the filter will a K&N because the first time I washed under the hood the stock paper filter stopped up. My feeling is the Air Gap should be used on a built engine running higher RPM. I was using a Performer manifold on a 330HP crate motor and it had great 0 to 5000 RPM response. If you are using a passenger side alternator and long water pump, you should need to modify the alternator bracket to relieve stress off the manifold.

I do have a functional Shelby GT350 Hood Scoop that is available from Unlimited Products at a very reasonable price and looks good on the Z. It also does not interfere with the home grown 50's style functional louvers.

http://hallettracing.net/gallery/album32/71_240_Z

Oh yeah I run a Victor Jr. (and scoop) but I wish I would have gotten the scoop with the butterflies. I didn't look hard enough I guess but I just wasn't willing to pay $300+ for the ones I was looking at. $200 is reasonable I think. Atleast as much as any performance part is...

I ran the blower scoop for awhile for looks and clearance with the old Scarab style conversion and a high rise intake and it did get a bunch. The air cleaner was too small even after I replaced it with a K&N. It was robbing me of horsepower on the road course. Also it looked funny after the JTR Conversion which offsets the engine to the passenger side.

Hey Forces,

I have the air gap intake, a K&N 1 3/4 inch drop base 3 inch air filter assembly and it JUST clears my hood. Although I did have to use a 1/4 -20 nut and washer instead of a proper air cleaner wing nut for keeping it on the carb. Don't ask me how I know this, lets just say I have a ding on my hood now.:cry:

That looks good. Are you running an HEI dist? From reading the parts catalogs they make offset 14" cleaners that they say are needed to clear the HEI dist. Guess you had no problems?

I have my engine so far back a 14" is going to hit the hood latch, and the engine is so tall I think I need a drop base also. I have yet to find a unit that are both drop base and forward offset.

• 2 weeks later...

humph......I guess I should have installed before posting. I used the triangular edelbrock airfilter and it LOOKS like it would just clear the stock hood. But it would be a snug fit. Just replying for those of you who have, and will, run into this very problem, as the air gap comes highly recomended, as you can see above. I'll know at zero hour when my engine either starts or explodes on the first crank.:confused2

Pop N Wood Quote:

Originally Posted by fastzcars

Hey Forces,

I have the air gap intake, a K&N 1 3/4 inch drop base 3 inch air filter assembly and it JUST clears my hood. Although I did have to use a 1/4 -20 nut and washer instead of a proper air cleaner wing nut for keeping it on the carb. Don't ask me how I know this, lets just say I have a ding on my hood now.

That looks good. Are you running an HEI dist? From reading the parts catalogs they make offset 14" cleaners that they say are needed to clear the HEI dist. Guess you had no problems?

I have my engine so far back a 14" is going to hit the hood latch, and the engine is so tall I think I need a drop base also. I have yet to find a unit that are both drop base and forward offset.

Sorry it took me so long to answer your question PopNwood. I don't have HEI, I have a small base/short cap billet MSD distributor. That's a very good question. I have to add that I'm not using the JTR 1/2 inch spacers that are used between the crossmember and the frame rails. That would account for the tight clearence of my air filter . Plus the hood latch bracket above the distributor is a custom made piece to add more clearence around the top of the distributor.