HybridZ

Anti-Roll Bar on R200...would it work? Drag Racers

Has anyone heard of using a anti-roll on a stock r200 type diff ??? Not a sway bar but the type of anti-roll bar kit that makes it possible for you to preload the chassis, eliminating body roll during hard launches. This allows the car to drive straighter off the starting line, helping to improve 60 ft. times.... searched but didn't see anything...would it work or is there a better idea besides going to a different rear setup...thanks

No, he's talking about anti roll bars. I think it's more of a straight axle thing, but I've heard of this before. You can see on some drag videos how the car leans to the right under power. With a straight axle when the suspension compresses the wheelbase gets shorter on that side of the car, kind of like a skateboard. So then the car steers right. So they use a normal anti-roll bar and they preload it by putting a big stack of washers in and tightening the end links down so that the sway bar gives a little extra resistance to the right side compressing, and this helps it track straighter.

I believe this is a non-issue with our IRS.

EDIT--I'm thinking I may have that backwards. It may be that the wheelbase gets longer on the side that compresses. I can't remember. The jist is right though: Prevent the body roll and get the car to go straight down the lane.

I'd suspect rear control arm bushings first. If they're rubber or they're old, replace them. You can go for G Machine bushings on the inners to get less deflection. Poly on the outers, or if you're feeling racey you could get AZC arms or similar which have rod ends and no deflection at all.

I don't think that the springs are going to do you any good at all. I just don't think that the IRS (properly maintained) does that rear steer thing like the solid axles do.

Tell Rip he needs a less powerful engine or take off a nos system or better yet get a better driver. Just kidding.......

I have always seen anti-rollbars on straight axle cars. I do not think they would work on independent suspension......

It is probably the 8" slicks he is running, just to much power for them or to low of air pressure making them roll.

John

Has anyone heard of using a anti-roll on a stock r200 type diff ??? Not a sway bar but the type of anti-roll bar kit that makes it possible for you to preload the chassis, eliminating body roll during hard launches. This allows the car to drive straighter off the starting line, helping to improve 60 ft. times.... searched but didn't see anything...would it work or is there a better idea besides going to a different rear setup...thanks

Not that I have any real experience, but with IRS you could do a number of things you can't with a live axle. Assymetric camber, toe, etc. And you could experiment with packers to adjust when the bump stops are engaged as well as ride height to try and even the weight distribution at the rear. In some ways you're wanting just the opposite of what road racers do.

If your car has an automatic have someone power brake it while you watch the rear wheels. You may get quite and education from this and decide that toe can help to fix this (or look at heims or much stiffer bushings).

Cary

So if my cars tracking to one side under power...how would you think you could correct this?? Maybe stiffer spring on that side...or use adjustable coilovers to jack one side higher than the other...Open to ideas, thanks
I would take the car to a alignment shop and check the four wheel alignment.You could use a plumbob and a concrete floor. I know your rear is non-adjustable but it will tell you if the car is tracking correctly. I know all this changes when the car is accelerating. You could take it to a chassis dyno and see how the a-arms react to acceleration. I would also check the rear tires and make sure they are the same circumference, even if they both are the same size. You could add air pressure to the tire, ( if the car goes left add a 1/2 to 1pound of air to the left tire, if it goes right do the same.) don't laugh it has worked for me. Good Luck Jerry:2thumbs:

local guy here ran a turbo 2 litre datsun 1600 (510 to us people) with sneeky nos system at drags here was very quick car both drags and circuit used to win the 6 cyl class easily at the drags

his trick was in the bumpstops he had taller ones for the drags so the car went solid in the rear much quicker the thing really launched