HybridZ

wasnt sure where to put this so i threw it in here

sorealsosurreal

i just bought my first Z car. ive been in love with them ever since i saw one about 4 years ago. i am picking up my 1972 240z this monday and want to start to tackle this project right away. is there any thing i can cap or pull off (smog stuff) to even add a little horsepower. im very new to the Z's and havnt learned much yet. i am also on a very VERY low budget. for starters i was thinking of making an exhaust in my auto shop and was wondering what size tubing i should put on it, being that it is stock. any addvice would be greatly appreciated

On the 240z there shouldn't be any smog stuff to pull off. I believe they were brought out before the smog regulations.

For the exhaust stick with some 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" pipe. You have a naturally aspirated (N/A) engine that is going to need some back pressure to run properly. If the car runs good then I would start with rust removal and prevention.

my father and i have registered 3 72 240Z's in california and none required smog to get the sticker so you should be fine! if it has smog stuff, make sure the orig engine was not replaced with a L28 (which does have lots of smog crap on the intake manifold) like ALL THREE of ours were.

i am picking up my 1972 240z this monday and want to start to tackle this project right away. is there any thing i can cap or pull off (smog stuff) to even add a little horsepower.

You'll get more "horsepower" by doing a valve adjustment, change and properly gap/index the plugs, change and properly gap the points, replace any bad plug wires, change the fuel filters, and properly tune and balance the SUs.

if you want the order my upgrades went;

New injectors (bad choice)

76 intake manifold (looks cooler)

New front tokikos (shocks)

Polyurathane bushings

Boost controller (doesn't apply to you)

Megasquirt (very worthwhile, but not for a daily driver)

Then I lifted my rear passenger side interior panel and found a hole, the size of my spare tire, under my spare tire. This just got fixed with some napa rust killer, rubberizer, and fiberglass.

Then I relocated my battery to the back (just for fun)

Dude, basically, just go get it tuned and drive it. johnc is right, go do the "new car thing", and everyone here knows what i'm talking about. Go buy new plugs, and gap them right. new fuel and oil filters, change the oil, and go get her tuned up. you'll notice a huge difference.

Also, don't be shy about just reading through archives, we've all done a lot to our cars and we're all more than happy to tell you how to do it.