HybridZ

more boost!

colerongo

hi, i have been driving my 240z turbo for a couple weeks and i decided i wanna turn up the boost a little. what exactly do i need to safely do this? i have been reading tons of posts and it seems like everyone does it differently. i will be gathering parts for the next couple weeks so what should i get? right now the fuel system and everything else is stock. i have an intercooler. from reading it seems like i need a bov, boost controller, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, boost gauge. is this all? i am looking for around 12psi. any help would be appreciated. i have zero experience with modifying turbo engines. i just cant stand my brothers ls1 240z being sooo much faster than mine.

Do a "Search" this has been discussed extensively.

But....because I'm a nice guy:

1) You need a boost gauge for sure

2) You need an adjustable and boost sensitive FPR (Aeromotive my preference)

3) You need a Manual Boost Controller (Turbo XS my preference)

4) Does not hurt ot change the fuel pump to a Walbro GSL392 (255lp/h)

Word of caution you will be at the ABSOLUTE max. with the stock injectors at "around" 10psi...so at 12psi...make sure you have a widband on the car to make it does not lean out.

I ran my car at 10psi for a couple of years and it was a bullet.

Yasin

1) If you plan on raising the boost to 10 psi or more, you must block the factory pop-off valve. (You can simply replace it with a plug)

2) It will take a LOT more than 12 psi to hang with a healthy LS1 240z. Nitrous may be in your future.

well i know its gonna be a while before i can keep up with the ls1. that thing's incredible. it has so much power i'm surprised the stock dif is taking it. so i started my parts collection. so far i have an intercooler, piping, walbro 255 pump, aeromotive boost referenced regulator, turboxs high performance boost controller. and soon i will have a boost gauge. how do i know what innitial fuel pressure i should be running when i turn up the boost? when i get bigger injectors wil i have to turn the pressure back down? and also can the computer compensate for the fuel upgrades? i don't think the search function is working properly for me cuz it comes up with all kinds of random stuff when i search for something. thank you guys for helping anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, i got the intercooler hooked up. as soon as i did it, the turbo started making a whoosh, whoosh, whoosh sound on downspool. it drove awesome though. i have the boost controller hooked up, it is set at 8.5 psi. i also got the fuel pump hooked up. it's much quieter and seems to be working perfectly. i don't have the fpr hooked up yet cuz im waiting for fittings to arrive from summit. it's been driving perfectly for about a week until last night a connector for the w/r power wire from the alternator melted. i put a new one on and i once again have elelctrical power. but, the engine isn't running the same. i don't know if its related. it's idling lower and rougher, and it studders until about 3000 rpm's. after that it feels a little smoother and much faster. i took the spark plugs out and they were black. they didn't smell like gas though. what does this mean? is it running lean? what could cause this? could my injectors be clogged?

i have a boost gauge. it says my boost climbs to 8.5 then stays exactly there til i shift. i will get the other gauges. i noticed some smoke out of my exhaust. it seems like i might be burning some oil. maybe that's why my spark plugs are black. the engine has never been rebuilt so maybe it needs it. if that is the problem, is rebuilding it the only option?

To bad your way up there, it would be fun messing with as ls Z :D. I would of bought a wideband first. I wouldn't run more than 45 psi fp with vac disconnected (stock is around 36-40). The stock fpr is referenced and would of worked fine. Running more fp will allow more boost but without knowing your afr, raising the fp won't be helping if you are too rich. It sure isn't helping off boost. Don't know how much the ecu can correct for it. Up the boost some more depending on what your fp is 13 or so psi. It should be pretty cool up there now so knock shouldn't be an issue.

im still trying to figure this out. my fuel pressure gauge says it's at 65 psi now that i got the aeromotive installed. way too much. it doesn't change when i adjust it with an allen screw. is my aeromotive broken? it still runs some how, but just as crappy as it did before. hey clifton, my bro and i were actually talking about driving down to phoenix to go to one of your z car meetings. we talked to sean about it. we sold him a transmission a couple months ago. when's your next meeting? well i'm gonna keep trying to figure this out cuz i can't stand not having my car running right. i think if i can get my fuel pressure down it'l be back to normal.

I'm not in DZA any more. Great club, I'm just into performance more than shows. Are you running a 255l Walbro with the stock 240 return line? If so you might want to use the larger emissions vent line. There's too much returned volume with that pump. Does your fuel pressure drop if you rev it?

yes i am running the the stock return line. my brother mentioned that, but he's running the same setup with his ls. seems to work fine for him. i welded a sump on my tank, with 3/8 npt inlet and outlet, but have the stock sized lines running to it. where is the larger emmisions line located. i don't remember seeing a third line anywhere.

Sounds like you are running rich. Turn down that fuel pressure.

What intercooler did you install?

The stock T3 will max out at 14 or 15 psi and 5500 rpm. It will make good power at that level but mostly likely still slower than a LS1.

An external wastegate, T04e 50 trim compressor, custom downpipe, and 17 psi will get your car in the LS1 power range.

Using the turbo ecu and turbo injectors, 65 psi on boost should be good for 15 to 16 psi of boost.

What transmission and gear are you using?

yes i am running the the stock return line. my brother mentioned that, but he's running the same setup with his ls. seems to work fine for him. i welded a sump on my tank, with 3/8 npt inlet and outlet, but have the stock sized lines running to it. where is the larger emmisions line located. i don't remember seeing a third line anywhere.

It runs along with the other fuel lines under the tunnel, to the firewall and then splits to the drivers side, running down the frame rail and up to were the coil is. It is about as large as the feed line were that return line is like a brake line. To see if this is your problem with your excess fuel pressure you could temporarily run the return straight off the regulator into a bucket/can.

your the man clifton, small return line was my problem. i hooked the other line up and it started up and ran perfectly. thanks for all of your help. it would have taken me forever to figure it out myself. i'll let you know how it goes when i start turning the boost up a little more. i think standalone is next on my want list.