HybridZ

Any problems with fiberglass Tubes?

badjuju

I suppose the real question is why. Aluminum is light weight and much easier to do than the fiberglass would be. Buy some pre-bent mandrel bends and then take them to a competent welder and have him weld them up. It could be done, but I'm ot sure I see the advantage to it. There isn't really even a bling factor unless you did them in carbon fiber...

I agree with spork....why fiberglass? Its going to be heavier, require more space, and will retain heat more than aluminum. If you fab it from fiberglass your friends may just have an opportunity to laugh....as there are good reasons why just about every turbo induction plumbing is made from aluminmu.

Tom

Fiberglass bullets are against the Geneva Convention because once buried under the skin they don't show up on an X ray.

One good backfire while tuning and you have enough shrapnel to shred your face.

Maybe not likely but a thought that comes to mind after seeing so many pics of blown up turbo manifolds.

Fiberglass bullets are against the Geneva Convention because once buried under the skin they don't show up on an X ray.

That and the fact that when the bullet hits it brake appart in millions of glass shards and wherever you get hit, it's gonna make it's way to your heart and you'll die. Anyways, I'm out of subject here.

I know Dinan makes some breautiful carbon fiber cold air intakes for BMW's maybe check them out see if you can tell how they are made.

Here at NCSU our formula car uses a carbon fiber intake manifold, it doesnt look good though looks jsut liek a wetlayup over some type of male mold, ill have to ask how they made it.

Toad, this is a valid point, I will have to keep that in mind during testing, if I'm not totally satsified with it's duribility, I won't put it in. Hoke, that'd be greatly appreciated, I would love to get my hands on some carbon fiber to play with, but it's kinda intimidating thinking about going from napa fiberglass repair sheets to epoxy resin CF, but it's just the jump that this site is all about. any info you could supply would be awesome, particularly on the molding process.

one of the reasons I want to use fiberglass is because it insulates heat, I'm thinking it'll help prevent heatsoak in between the intercooler and the intake manifold. I appreciate your enthusiasm, racer, that's the spirit i'm looking for.

I hadn't considered the different resins, so I appreciate that input as well, I have a basic understanding of the differences, but I haven't seriously researched it for this project.

We used to use CF for our formula SAE cars (back in the late '90's not sure what they are using now) for the intake manifold and that was in a turbo application. Main reason was to achieve nice smooth transitions, tapered throat, etc. If vacuum bagged (as our was) it weighed virtually nothing. Only problem I recall was one flat spot in the roof area opposite the runners that would bow out when it got hot and under boost but it never failed. A simple rib fixed that. We made it by rapid prototyping a wax mold then melting the wax out later. You could always hand carve a mold out of a chunk of wax from the craft store.

Cameron

Hmm, yeah I had thought of RPing the tube, I've got access to a couple at the University of Washington, the question is whether my prof will let me take 18 hours out of his project time to make a tube... then just reinforce it and use the whole thing... (18 hours because it's accurate down to 15 microns and takes a while to cure)