HybridZ

Carburetad turbo... am I looking at this right?

mamba_888

Hello...

First and foremost, I've done a search on this subject but could not

find anything close (maybe my searching skills sux but that's another issue).

I found R.E. Hanvey's link called the Datsun workshop and he

has this phenomenal 240z with a carburated turbo setup!

http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/rb26swap/datsun7.jpg

In looking at the pix (links below), I can't really tell if he mounted

the carb onto the air intake of the turbo compressor!

http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/rb26swap/turbo1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/row4navy/rb26swap/turbocarb.jpg

Is this true? Can one do this and use the compressor to ingest

an air fuel mixture directly instead of just air?

Am I seeing the setup correctly? I can't tell by the pictures so

I ask you gurus to please educate me!

Thanx.

That'd be the easiest way of setting it up. The only downside is you can't run an aftercooler easily, if at all. Boost will be limited due to heat but I'm sure it'd still be pretty fun.

There are carbs out there that are designed to handle boost though. You could run a traditional turbo setup with an aftercooler. That would allow the most performance.

I saw a guy once with a similar setup and what he did to cool the air/fuel charge was to use a water tank pressurised by boost and an boost actuated valve. When the boost would reach a preset point, the valve opens and send a spray of water via an injector in the intake.

That'd be the easiest way of setting it up. The only downside is you can't run an aftercooler easily, if at all. Boost will be limited due to heat but I'm sure it'd still be pretty fun.

There are carbs out there that are designed to handle boost though. You could run a traditional turbo setup with an aftercooler. That would allow the most performance.

That is a Turbo Tom's system, and is typical of old-school draw-through technology. For what they are, they work well enough.

But what exactly do you mean by "Boost Will Be Limited"? I ran 20psi on mine (Crown Setup, basically the same thing), and that setup will easily get a full bodied ZX into the low 11's! hardly "Limited". The fuel in the turbo acts like anti-detonant, and over 17psi most people simply injected water, or alcohol, allowing almost unlimited boost---limited more by the turbo configuration than the heat issue. Anti-Detonant injection is well documented in it's effectiveness, you just need to inject enough to change state to remove the heat of compression. It's not an intercooler, and many pooh-pooh it, but it works.

As for most performance, these setups were in the 9's almost 30 years ago in Z-Cars in Japan. Those cars ruled. The EFI revolution is what made current aftercooling effective for the masses...

It is a Turbo Tom (R.I.P.) setup. I have such with the water injection setup. I worked well. Glad to see another. I blew the turbo and replaced it with a Turbonetics with a water jacket. I is laid up with a leaking head gasket. Tom was way ahead of almost everyone else. Sorry to see him go.

That is a Turbo Tom's system, and is typical of old-school draw-through technology. For what they are, they work well enough.

But what exactly do you mean by "Boost Will Be Limited"? I ran 20psi on mine (Crown Setup, basically the same thing), and that setup will easily get a full bodied ZX into the low 11's! hardly "Limited". The fuel in the turbo acts like anti-detonant, and over 17psi most people simply injected water, or alcohol, allowing almost unlimited boost---limited more by the turbo configuration than the heat issue. Anti-Detonant injection is well documented in it's effectiveness, you just need to inject enough to change state to remove the heat of compression. It's not an intercooler, and many pooh-pooh it, but it works.

As for most performance, these setups were in the 9's almost 30 years ago in Z-Cars in Japan. Those cars ruled. The EFI revolution is what made current aftercooling effective for the masses...

Boost would be limited without those things. :D