HybridZ

Best brake upgrade for the buck?

I see these brake upgrades on EBay all the time are they worth considering?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNARL%3AMT%3A12&viewitem=&item=110045503763

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&isfrommerc=1&itemcount=8&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNARL%3AMT%3A74&refwidgetloc=watch_reminder_email&viewitem=&refitem=110045503763&item=170040357198&refwidgettype=osi_widget

My application would be for and LS1/T56 in a 76 280Z. I would like to upgrade my brakes but I do not have a lot of money to spend.

I do not race the car and is mostly used as a weekend cruiser with maybe some spirited back country roads and maybe an auto X once in a while.

What set-ups have other users on this forum gone with and what did it cost?

Thanks,

Greg

Best advice I got was from johnc. For a really tight budget the original calipers and good pads and fluid make a world of difference. For spirited driving, and ocassional hauling down from triple digits he recommended all hardware was in top condition, good new rotors, and one pad mentioned was Hawk HP Plus, keep high quality brake fluid such as Ford heavy duty, and keep it fresh. The HP Plus have little dust build up, nice grip, amazing difference.

For a really tight budget you can just ensure that your current system is working properly and upgrade your pads.

The next level would be to upgrade the fronts to use the Toyota S12 calipers on your stock rotor or go with S12W on upgraded vented rotors. The first upgrade for the back would be something like one of the links you posted with 240SX, Maxima or ZX rear disk brakes.

Personally, I think If you've got the money to upgrade to an LS1 you should leave enough to upgrade the brakes as well. I went with the S12W's up front, ZX disks in the back and a ZX master cylinder as well.

Hi Bartman, thanks for the info,

I already have the zx 15/16 Master brake cylinder upgrade and am going to do the Toyota upgrade as well. I read that thread earlier this week and was following it but never seemed to get a full cost from it.

What I am having a tough time with is the rear upgrade.

Some kits require the stub axles to be removed which seems to be a big deal and other don't. Some use ZX calipers and some use 300ZX ones which is better?

I wasn't able to find those prices on that thread that everybody else seems to find at Rock auto or Advanced or AutoZone for all the other parts, example is the calipers alone are about $110+ each at RockAuto because I am assuming you need the mounting plate/hardware and throw in more because I do not have a core to give back. The only parts I was able to find in those price ranges were the front calipers for a 81 280ZX with no mounting harware and no pads.

Is it possible to do the two rears for $400 all parts included?

Do I need new hoses as well?

The second Ebay link I gave in my first post seems to be a good deal but no pictures of the actual bracket? I will ask.

Thanks everybody,

Greg

I bought everything I needed to put the toyota S12W calipers with vented rotors and Modern Motorsports 240SX rear disk conversion for ~$700 from a member here. The guy had collected everything he needed (including used calipers) but got out of Z's before installing them.

IMO, the stock brakes are really not adequate for a car pushing any significant amount of power. I have read John's posts and agree with him up to a point, but I think his main point is that the stock brakes don't suck. If the rules require it they can be made to work with enough attention. At the same time John has upgraded the brakes in all of his vehicles, so that should tell you something.

The price on the rear disc brackets in the thread linked above is really good. It will be interesting to hear what Ron Tyler comes back and says about the aluminum brackets. the MM sport 240SX brackets look similar but are made out of steel. Corrosion is just not much of an issue.

But keep in mind for your application you really don't need to go rear disc. Just the vented toyo front disks should give you pretty reliable stopping power. Also IIRC there have been some negative opinions about the 280ZX rear calipers. Some people flat out hate them.

umm DOT4 fluid and some carbon/kevlar brake pads or semi metallic..

my Porterfield RS4 pads are awsome.. stood up to 5 (20min) track sessions

Hehe, you weren't driving fast enough... :D This happened after 3 20 minute track sessions with slicks. Pads were at least 85% at the beginning of the day.

R4S.jpg

Ha! You weren't driving fast enough! :) The first time we went to Road Atlanta after Panoz reconfigured the track we did that after 10 laps with fresh Porterfield RS4 pads! Might have only been 7. Ended up in the gravel trap at 10a. Eventually were able to go a full race absolutely hammering the brakes, but it took Hawk HT-9's, lots of cooling ducts, and properly biased Carbotech shoes in the back. Stock calipers and drums only in ITS, with really sticky tires. You can do a lot with stock if you have too.

Given that I'm a lazy SOB and crappy at fabricating... does anyone think the pricey kits from arizonazcars or the other brands are worth the $2200 or so for a four wheel disc upgrade?

Dont' feel too bad. :D It sounds like the track you were at wasn't very hard on brakes. Buttonwillow Raceway where I used to go most of the time is famously hard on brakes. Those R4S pads probably would have done pretty well at Willow Springs which is famously easy on brakes.

If you're just getting into big track stuff the other thing that you most likely aren't doing that really puts heat into the brakes is staying on the gas until you step on the brake. Coasting into the braking zone really makes a difference, and I haven't seen anyone that didn't coast into the braking zone at first. It takes supreme confidence in your equipment to stay in the gas until the last second and then stand on the brakes while leaving yourself little or no margin for error.

Given that I'm a lazy SOB and crappy at fabricating... does anyone think the pricey kits from arizonazcars or the other brands are worth the $2200 or so for a four wheel disc upgrade?

The AZC kit is not a bad deal. There are other ways to get a brake upgrade that aren't as expensive, like a vented Toyota upgrade in the front and Modern Motorsport's 240SX/300ZX rear upgrade in the rear. That would be more than enough brakes for your stated purpose and probably less than 1/3 the cost, but not nearly as blingy if that's what you're after.

I'm not really into the "bling" thing but I think they would look nice on my red Alpha 1. I do want them to look nice. I've found an unused AZC 4W disc kit sans the SS brake lines for $1500, which seems like a decent deal but the seller won't answer my emails. This is fairly typical of the folks who post items for sale:rolleyes:

EDIT: Just received a call from the guy selling the AZC brake kit (nice guy)... but it's been sold:cry2: