HybridZ

fender mirror install

Guest skratchavenger

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok...so does anyone have any pointers to do a spot patch?

How about make an ABS cap. 1/8 ABS profiled to fit, break the rough edges/crown and paint your favorite color. Paint sticks to ABS great. Mount with 3M VHB tape at ACE hardware. Covers the holes, Seals from Water, NO body work and very easy and Cheap. I am on this one soon as my door mirrors are horrible and useless. Good fix untill the doors are repainted.

• 1 month later...
Alright I'll fess up on this.... I bought two 280Z emblem plates that go on the glove box. Although they do not completely cover that spot you can get creative with a backing strip...:-)

LARRY

ROFLMAO!!!! ive thought about the fender mirrors and already decided to put my Hybridz stickers over the holes =0)~

are the original bullet fender mirrors adjustable or are they rigid and just adjusted at the mounting surface? also, are they plastic or metal?

The 'bullet' section ( inc. the bit with the actual mirror in it ) of the original factory fender mirrors is pressed steel. The stem and base are cast 'pot metal' / mazak. The whole thing sits on a moulded plastic 'foot' base.

The stem is sprung under the base so that the whole things bends back if it strikes a pedestrian, but apart from that it is rigid in normal use. The actual mirror section adjustment is made by loosening the screw at the sharp end of the bullet pressing. There's actually quite a large range of adjustment available. A small adjustment at the mirror makes a big difference to the view given at the driver's eye.

would anyone happen to have the plastic bases and the sprung mounting parts that go under the fender? maybe from a set of mirrors that got sold or damaged? id like to get a pair of these if anyone has em. used or new.

thanks guys.

Watch E-Bay they are on there all the time. Around $200 for a used set.

ON ANOTHER NOTE...

Would it be worth my time to do a 'layover template' on some of my fenders? I have some early S30, as well as Late S30 fenders around where I could lay a template over it and copy the holes directly. The early holes are round, the later Electric Controlled Mirrors are 'teardrop shaped'... The template should scan properly, and be a simple alignment with fender front edge and hood edge. "This side up for Right Mirror, RHD" kind of annotation. That would give exact hole dimensions without having to use your plastic bases as the template for figuring out the centering of the holes.

Whaddya Think?

Would it be worth my time to do a 'layover template' on some of my fenders? I have some early S30, as well as Late S30 fenders around where I could lay a template over it and copy the holes directly. The early holes are round, the later Electric Controlled Mirrors are 'teardrop shaped'... The template should scan properly, and be a simple alignment with fender front edge and hood edge. "This side up for Right Mirror, RHD" kind of annotation. That would give exact hole dimensions without having to use your plastic bases as the template for figuring out the centering of the holes.

Whaddya Think?

me thinks yes

also, does anyone have an extra plastic mirror base available [relatively flat, oval shaped black plastic piece, sandwiched between the bottom of the mirror and fender]. i picked up a pair of mirrors and they were missing one of the bases. the base fits either side.

thanks

The hardware is going to be almost impossible to find without the mirrors. I have never seen just the hardware for sale anywere. Your best bet is to buy a new set of chrome mirrors (cheaper than black) yank the hardware and then dump the raw mirrors on E-bay.

• 1 year later...
so, for those of you who did the conversion.....how did you patch the holes in the doors? (if your car is already painted...)

im thinking of going this route this winter, but don't want something tacky to cover up the holes...(and dont really wanna re-do the entire door)

I know I'm digging up an old thread to respond to here, but I patched mine from the inside with fiberglass. Once the door card/ panel is out its easy to reach the hole, just cleaned it to bare metal, then patched it with fiberglass. Filled the depressions on the outside with fiberglass reinforced waterproof filler. Past couple days I've been smoothing it out and used a little bit of glazing putty (on top of the high fill primer I've been using). As for an alternative, I think looking at 280ZForce's Z shows that he just left the old black mirror "bases" bolted in.

I have a question though. Even after installing my mirrors to the exact specifications in the diagram, for a LHD car, my mirrors do not provide any sort of useful visibility. They seem to be aimed too high, adjusting the screw and swiveling the mirror does not solve the issue as the increments are not enough. The lowest I get is a view of the corner of my roof and upper window. I'm wondering if anyone else had the same issues when they installed theirs, and how they solved the issue. I'm thinking of using some shims inbetween the mirror and the black plastic base...

Yes, they are the Nissan mirrors, the stainless ones.

I have a question though. Even after installing my mirrors to the exact specifications in the diagram, for a LHD car, my mirrors do not provide any sort of useful visibility. They seem to be aimed too high, adjusting the screw and swiveling the mirror does not solve the issue as the increments are not enough. The lowest I get is a view of the corner of my roof and upper window. I'm wondering if anyone else had the same issues when they installed theirs, and how they solved the issue. I'm thinking of using some shims inbetween the mirror and the black plastic base...

Yes, they are the Nissan mirrors, the stainless ones.

Quite simply, the "stainless" ( chrome ) mirrors were never designed for the S30-series Z body. They are from another model. Usually a GC10 Skyline, or 510 Bluebird. It's not surprising that they don't work properly.