HybridZ

Can I swap 85mph speedo for 130mph?

Guest Spoon

Its a restored 130mph guage.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-280ZX-130-MPH-Speedometer-RESTORED-OEM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33678QQihZ020QQitemZ300040345345QQrdZ1

Will I just be able to replace the current 85mph guage or will something else need to be done like any kind of recalibration? If so how do I do it? I've also been looking at the digital guage pods. Can it just replace the current one? i have a 1983 280ZX turbo.

Spoon.. try to use more descriptive subjects so folks using the search function will know if this thread is helpful without having to read the whole post. Instead of 'will this work on my car?' try 'will this speedometer on ebay work on my car?' or something like that. Can't answer your question but I've read about guys swapping in the digital ones... the search function is yer buddy... don't take offense, we all get it at first.

As Mike says... thanks for playing... try again

Yeah the speedo will just swap in if you have analog gage cluster already. You need to rewire to use a digi. Look at the local pull a part for a 79 they have the 130 mph speedo. Our wonderful govt decided in 80-83 that people would have a fright if they knew they were going over 85. Not sure if earlier years will swap in but I do know the 79 will. I have 83 n/a w/digi dash and 83 zxt with analog. I also found a neat speedo out of a maxima that will fit into the gage cluster.

Our wonderful govt decided in 80-83 that people would have a fright if they knew they were going over 85.

roger: I always heard that the goverment thought that it would encourage us to speed if the speedo went to high above the national limit. I know everytime I look at my 150 MPH speedo, I get an almost uncontrolable urge to punch the pedal to the floor and hold it there, traffic be damned!!! In fact just thinking about it right now makes me want to speed... SPEED SPEED!!! AUGGGggggggg !!!! (where is that smilie Max has in his signature of the guy running around throwing his hands up and down)

anyhow, old story, my girlfriend back then had a Nova, it had a 80 MPH speedo. It was a six cylinder and stock, but it still wasn't hard to go over eighty on the freeway. Well eventually pinning the speedo killed it. New one was 400$ yikes!!! no way I was paying that. But she would say "every time a cop gets behind me I get nervous" (she was a elementary school teacher, and rarely even went the speed limit) well eventually I had to relent and buy the damn thing... damn laws!

BTW, to my knowledge, the digital speedo's from 82 and 83 are also limited to 85 MPH displays, so that won't help you. I have converted my 85 MPH for a 130 MPH from a 79 280zx. It's a direct swap other then having to transfer the attachment which controls the cruise control along from old to new.

hmm... i just swapped out a guage... i'm trying to figure out where the speed sensor is that's swapped with the guage... I'll go back and look at it. I used a 85mph cluster and swapped out just the guage face (and rod that goes through the unit) since I wanted to keep my mileage.

It would suck if I had to use the other unit alltogether since it was in crap shape. Oh well, I'll figure something out.

I swapped in the 130mph for the 85mph speedo back when my car was pretty much stock. After I was done the only thing that didn't work was the cruise? I didn't really ever look into why though. I just knew that there was a small difference in the backs of them, one had an extra wire or something(can't really remember, it was like 5-6 years ago). I just like knowing how fast I was going after 85mph!

Guy