HybridZ

modified 240zt problems

colerongo

ok, i have a 240z with an l28et. i have been driving it for the past couple months stock. but i decided to start modifying it. i got an intercooler hooked up. as soon as i did it, the turbo started making a whoosh, whoosh, whoosh sound on downspool. it drove awesome though. i have ta boost controller hooked up, it is set at 8.5 psi. i also got a walbro 255 lph fuel pump hooked up. it's much quieter and seems to be working perfectly. i have an aeromotive boost referenced fpr, but don't have it hooked up yet cuz im waiting for fittings to arrive from summit. it's been driving perfectly for about a week with these mods until last night a connector for the w/r power wire from the alternator melted. i think it was because it was corroded. i crimped a new one on and i once again have elelctrical power. but, the engine isn't running the same. i don't know if its related. it's idling lower and rougher, and it studders until about 3000 rpm's. it basically feels like the engine is cold. after 3000 rpm it feels a little smoother and much faster. i took the spark plugs out and they were black. they didn't smell like gas though. what does this mean? is it running lean? what could cause this? could my injectors be clogged? the spark plugs are pretty new but will it fix the problem if i replace them? any help would be appreciated because i've spent hours searching for similar threads. thanks

ok, i replaced the spark plugs and ran the car for a couple minutes. the plugs are pretty much drenched in fuel. too rich. now i need to figure out why. could it have something to do with the walbro 255lph pump i just installed? the problem seems to have started shortly after i installed it. maybe my stock fpr isn't functioning properly and it's allowing my pressure to get too high? my fittings should be arriving today at 2:00 so i will install my aeromotive fpr and set the pressure at 30psi. if anyone can think of anything else i should check that could be the problem let me know.

ok, i just installed my jsk fuel rail and my aeromotive fpr. after fixing a couple leaks, i got it to hold pressure. it's at 65 psi. way too much. after turning the bolt on top of the regulator to turn the pressure down, the gauge still read 65. i don't know why, but my regulator isn't allowing my to adjust it. at 65, the car ran exactly the same as it did with the stock regulator, like sh%#. i think if i can figure out what's wrong with the regulator, and get my pressure back down to 30psi, it will run perfectly.

i bet you're right. i am running stock lines. i welded a sump with 3/8 npt fittings but haven't changed the lines. clifton mentioned a larger diameter vent line that i could use. i don't remember ever seeing it, but where is it? do all 240z's have one? if not i guess i'm gonna have to run new lines. might as well upgrade my fuel in line while im at it.

you're right DCZ, the vent line runs along the driver side frame rail. i hooked that line up, and it started up and ran great. no more hi pressure. it's also a plus becaue with my fpr mounted on the driver's side, the boost reference line is shorter, so less lean issues while building boost. i read a post about that last night. thanks for all the help.

• 4 months later...

This is an old thread that i have just revived..

I am wondering if the fuel return line was the issue in the end.

I have a 240Z that I am turbo charging and I wonder if using the stock fuel return will cause me any problems.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...