HybridZ

Little bit of help on new Z!

eightytwoturbo

Well I just picked up a 1982 turbo 280ZX and it runs but with some problems, it has 74k original miles. She fires right up runs smooth but there is alot of hesitation and stutter when getting into the gas, will not go past 4k rpms most of the time, and makes a poppin hissin noise from under the hood when I lay into it.. any tips on what I need to start checking or replacing would be helpful. Timing? Fuel pump? Full tune up? or does this sound like something else?

Welcome! This is an amazing site!

I always thought Dirty injectors would result in a poor idle?

I would check the timing, and fuel pressure. Make sure the plugs are clean along w/ the air filter and fuel filter. Check all hoses including vacum, PCV valve, etc.

How long was it sitting? Do you know the history of maintenance?

Well I dont really know the history of it, but I pulled the plugs and everything today and wow it needs a tune up badly, everything looks pretty old heh (champion plugs). The previous owner drove it back and forth like 20 miles a day to work till he got a new car and it has been sitting there for like 2 months he said.. He even suggested it needed a tune up probably. I hope this is all thats wrong with it for now we will see :redface:. Any more help is appreciated thanks!

Dropped new plugs,plug wires,distrubutor/rotor, fuel filter, air filter and put new fuel/oil in her and still having the same problems.

Im thinking ethier timing or fuel injector? There is a slight tick like a lifter but im not sure if thats hurting it atm. No smoke at all. How I check for vacuum leaks etc? I see nothing visible disconnected or cracked.

vac leaks sound like a hissing noise. best thing to do is spray carb cleaner or similar and listen for a surge in the idle, then your near a leak. Id repalce as much vac hose as you can stand.

Also might want to clean the TPS.

Grab some sea foam from the local parts store, run 1/2 through the brake booster line, 1/4 in the oil 50-100miles before you change it next, and 1/4 in the gas tank, with an 1/8th of a tank of gas.

that should clean it a bit and run it with as much throttle to clean those injectors and use additives.

Ok I cranked her up this mornin let it warm up and what do ya know it ran 10x better! Would go all the way to redline with no hesitation and full boost. Drove it down the road and gave her some gas every now and then, I had a smile on my face that she was runnin right! I came home and parked her for about 2hours and now I crank her back up... and guess what same problems again :confused:.

I guess this has something to do with fuel? Maybe water in the tank or perhaps rust? I dont know what to do but she was running so great :redface:

Guess ill be trying this seafoam stuff too.... =/

Guest dan4011

i had a similar problem on one of my 280z's, believe it or not theres a wire for the fuel injection on the starter motor... which was loose, we ended up pulling the motor, replacing 2 wiring harnesses, everything, then we saw that wire haha.

Ok so ive been fighting with this thing for 2 weeks now, and still no resolved issues, I took it to 2 shops, one didnt know and the other said its my cylinder head temperature sensor?? wtf? Could this really be why my car is acting up so poorly? He also said that I have intake manifold leaks. Struggling here so if anyone knows about this sensor or what it does let me know please??

That sensor tells the computer how how the engine is. And I doubt thats your problem.

Have you cleaned ALL the eletrical contacts on the wiring harness? Thats always a big problem on old cars.

Do you have the tools to pull off the intake and exaust manifolds? It sounds like it needs replacing along with some vacume lines.

~Alex