HybridZ

Fixing those Bumper holes

Yorgee

First of all, I want to thank the people who I had seen doing this before me or else I would have never thought of it. I saw people filling in their bumper holes where the gaurds used to go, and I thought I'd give it a try because these clips I had put in just weren't cutting it.

HPIM1129.jpg

The process took me about two weeks(because of school and all) but the sanding did take up most of the time.

HPIM1058.jpg

Filling the holes wasn't too hard. I tacked a few washes behind the hole, welded the top part till the hole was covered, grinded all the excess off until it was flush and then filled the remaining holes with bondo.

100_1753.jpg

HPIM1210.jpg

After all that tedious sanding, It was ready for some primer. So I hung it up in my backyard with a few bungee cords and started spraying. It really did come out better then I expected.

100_1748.jpg

100_1749.jpg

100_1752.jpg

Nice work.

I am looking at fixing up a set of 240 bumpers for my 280 but I thought you had to remove the chrome before you could do any welding or powder coating?

So what to do?

Do I just grind away and then plug the holes and grind some more. Then use something like a metal filler before powder coating.

HB280ZT

Nice work.

I am looking at fixing up a set of 240 bumpers for my 280 but I thought you had to remove the chrome before you could do any welding or powder coating?

So what to do?

Do I just grind away and then plug the holes and grind some more. Then use something like a metal filler before powder coating.

HB280ZT

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. I grinded off all the chrome before I started welding.

As mentioned by datsun40146, I also used SS carage bolts that I purchase from West Marine. They have a nice pan-head but I had to round out the square area under the head. Pretty inexpensive and the SS polishes up very nicely to match the chrome. This is the cheap way to go....and quick too!

Tom

There's a chrome plating shop near me that will repair, fill and rechrome these bumpers. It isn't cheap but the finish is better than OEM. They just did some work on a set of early Talbot racing mirrors for me (aprx $300). Pricey, but professional. A pair of bumpers would run around $1000. Sounds really high until you remember that these pieces are no longer available.

There's a chrome plating shop near me that will repair, fill and rechrome these bumpers. It isn't cheap but the finish is better than OEM. They just did some work on a set of early Talbot racing mirrors for me (aprx $300). Pricey, but professional. A pair of bumpers would run around $1000. Sounds really high until you remember that these pieces are no longer available.

Could help if you provide a location!

ezzzzz,

Thanks for the information.

The only problem is that I need to have the bumpers dechromed so that when I am finished welding up the holes I can have the bumpers powder coated.

He gave me information on 2 companies in the Hampton Roads, Va area and it looks like it will cost me about $250 or so to have both bumpers dechromed!

Thanks for the help.

HB280ZT

When I crossed that bridge for my front bumper I just just SS bolts through the holes. I think it looks just fine and it matches the chorme.

This is what i did, it made them look better, I just used buttonheads, cheaper tham bumper bolts. Still wrinkled though front and back. I couldn't straighten them fully, and they're hugely expensive to get new. They won't look good wrinkled even if they are all bondo'd up. :wink:

Nice work.

So what to do?

HB280ZT

You don't need to remove the chrome before coating... I have done quite a few motorcycle rims that were purposely chromed and then coated a translucent powder to get the desired effect over the chrome..

The only time I would have it removed is if it was that cheap chinachrome that starts to peel just after you wash it for the first time :D

Even if its a solid color to be powder coated on.. just need to scuff up the chrome a bit and coat it... as for the holes.. a metal filler (lab metal or original JB weld) will do the trick. I did a guys grill off a '72 Monte Carlo that the chrome shop wouldn't touch because of the condition (badly pitted) .. I just used a little JB weld and a wrinkle finish on the insides of the grill and chrome powder for the rest.. he was happy.

grill.jpg