HybridZ

Angled plugs / headers question

I read a few posts on this, but haven't found any definative answers, But I can't find any headrs that will fit! It's driving me crazy because it is the last thing I need to start my engine. I'm running edlebrock RPM perfomer heads with angled plugs. I tried Summit brand block hugger headers.

They don't work with angled plug heads. I tried Patriot shortys that are supposed to be the "fit all" header, but do NOT fit in my car. All the other block hugger headers specifically say "Will not work with angled plugs." It's funny how a seemingly simple thing; such as block huggers that work with angled plugs, can be so difficult. Aside from getting custom headers, am I at a dead end here?

Patriot header:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PTE%2DH8052%2D1&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Summit Header:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG9060%2D1&N=700+115&autoview=sku

I used to run the Hooker block huggers with Trick Flow angle plug heads, and the S&S's work on my current Canfields. It's just a try and see deal, because different manufacturers put the plugs in different places.

John

Which conversion kit did you use... JTR, MSA, Scarab style? JTR is the only kit with which you MUST use block huggers (or custom). The other two can use full-length like these... http://www.holley.com/2147HKR.asp These are also available in metalic silver ceramic. You'll have to ask them if they'll work with angled plugs.

My engine is in the JTR position. The block huggers I had on there fit awsome, just those damn spark plugs get in the way.

JT1...My buddy has trick flows (on a Ford 302) and those plugs are all angled in the same direction...

/ / / /

o o o o

My angle plugs Chevy 350 are as such..

/ /

o oo o

the "o's being the combustion chamber. the "/" being the plug.

This may be common knowlege, Those ford trick flows my buddy has are the only trickflow heads I've seen, and the only ford head that I have taken an interest where the plug placement was.

May be that you need a set of "header" spark plugs, short plugs made to clear tight header fit.

That's pretty much the answer. I'm using Accel shorty header plugs with 90 degree plug boots. You've got to keep a close eye on the wire placement but it works. Now quit sufing the net, get the plugs and fire that thing up!!!

Would it be unacceptably ghetto to sandwich an extra header flange between the header and the head, and would the 3/8" or so of clearance that bought solve any of these clearance problems without creating new ones?

Who among us, after all, hasn't used a small stack of washers to shim some bracket or other to get the alignment right?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers -- Gary

I'm far from being an expert here but, other than leakage issues, I'd assume that would help.

You could also buy new heads with straight plugs... or, of you're running an automatic transmission, you could switch to the MSA conversion kit:biggrin: Yeah... I know... this doesn't help your current situation. They are solutions to consider though... painful has they may be.

If I was in your situation, I'd try your idea of an extra flange and use really good gaskets... be sure to replace your bolts because they'll be too short.

I bought my blockhuggers from Thermo Tech. They work well with my L-98 angle plug heads. Not only that but they were pretty inexpensive, and the quality is good. http://www.thermaltechcoatings.com/prod02.htm
I run the same headers with my LT1 angle plug heads without any problems. They are actually the same Patriot headers that you can get elsewhere (Including Summit Racing).

The patriot headers I have were the equivelent of thier "Tight Tuck" Headers. with those headers, the steering linkage runs about 1" below the collector, and right underneath it. Not to mention that it looks like it also interferes with the frame. I'll have to call about their block huggers for 'angled plug' heads. Thanks.

The patriot headers I have were the equivelent of thier "Tight Tuck" Headers. with those headers, the steering linkage runs about 1" below the collector, and right underneath it. Not to mention that it looks like it also interferes with the frame. I'll have to call about their block huggers for 'angled plug' heads. Thanks.

The headers I have are the ThermalTech coated #T8019C which are the Patriot PTE-H8019 from Summit Racing. They are made for angled plugs and the port shape is oval even though the ThermalTech web site lists it as 'D' shaped.

Quite a few people are using this model without frame or steering linkage problems.

BTW: Look at this thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103407

Would it be unacceptably ghetto to sandwich an extra header flange between the header and the head, and would the 3/8" or so of clearance that bought solve any of these clearance problems without creating new ones?

Who among us, after all, hasn't used a small stack of washers to shim some bracket or other to get the alignment right?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers -- Gary

I think if I were to do that (assuming it would work) that I would run into clearance issues with the steering shaft on the driver's side, and frame issues on the pass. side.

I use the hooker long tubes but with the MSA mounts. Fit is perfect but I dont know if they will work with your JTR set up. My heads have similar angle plugs. Had to dent one tube to clear on passenger side but only a little. There are some pics in my hybrid gallery if interested.

Brian

http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?cat=500&page=3&ppuser=10889

I used these headers, very nice quality! http://www.zigsstreetrods.com/ Go to online "catalog" then select "headers" from left column. I used the RW37 headers. I had to add a U-joint to my steering column, but I've heard of others using these that did not.

reasonable price for coated headers. I noticed that the details added that they are coated inside and out. Is that common practive with ceramic coated headers, or something you don't typically see?