HybridZ

Would you drive your Z 500+ miles?

240zV8

In the spring of 2000 I drove a stock 1978 280Z with unknown >>100K mileage, recently bought for $900, from Los Angeles to Ohio. The only maintenance en route was adding oil - it burned a half quart every 500 miles or so. This was about 400 miles a day, mostly interstates. In the mountains of Colorado on I-70 it was really down on power, but ran OK. That car subsequently survived a half dozen trips back and forth from Dayton, Ohio to Northern Virginia. It did fine even in Ohio snows, starting reliably on zero-Fahrenheit conditions, until when messing around on unplowed streets the back end swung out, broadsided a curb and bent the rear suspension.

My big block Z would do OK on maybe a 30-mile trip, but under most circumstances it won’t even start. Assuming that the water pump belt does not get thrown, temperatures will hover in the 185-215 range, depending on how the electric fan cycles. The main problem is timing (vacuum advance is broken) and fuel (fuel spews profusely out of the venturis at idle, floats are not adjusted correctly, power valve is probably blown and vacuum secondaries may not be opening correctly).

Bottom line #1: if you are incompetent, stock = pretty reliable, modified = won’t run.

Bottom line #2: even a well-engineered car will run like a handicapped poodle with its rear legs tied together, if the engine is not properly tuned! Or in other words - minor tuning problems can turn a 500 hp engine into a 50 hp engine.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all 3 of my z31s have made it to sacramento and back--yes, i would take mine >500 miles. i have a 1986 NA with 244k miles on original engine; 1986 tutrbttops, 154k miles on original angine and turbo; 1984 50AE fairlady with 120k miles on original engine and turbo-----these things were made to run for 300k miles, and i am testing them on this. they are in big trouble if my engines fail before then! !!

I drove mine down to a car show this year.. 1200miles ++ The only hiccup I had was I had to manually turn down the fuel pressure to get better cruising gas mileage. Once onsite, I turned it back up for some fun.

I've gone long distance many times, and beat it up at the track no problems, but I have also taken it to the track long distance and broke it twice. Both times were due to inadequate maintenance.

I put 500 miles a week on my car, and that was around town driving. no problems. even got 22mpg. cruising, pulling a trailer with rims and a lot of crap on it, I averaged 25mpg over a 4000 mile trip this summer. Fargo to Phoenix to MSA to Modesto to Oregon to Fargo. not a problem. half the trip was with stock FI, the other half with MS&S_E, running spark as well.

the motor is close to stock-ish. L28 flat-top block with a mildly ported Maxima N47 head. portmatched and cleaned intake, 60mm TB, and a 2.5" where the cat SHOULD be back exhaust.

granted, its no 350HP, but it REALLY wakes the ole L28 up. and I havent had ANY reliability issues once I got MS&S_E sorted.

In 1996, I put a 2.8l w/ flatop pistons mated to a n-42 head in my 72 Z. I then transplanted 75 fuel injection onto it. I got 28mpg highway and the car went like stink. Summer of 97 I drove the same car from Tacoma, WA to Montgomery, AL. I spent 3 days driving (Montana was a blast). It was a round trip affair and all I did was change the oil before and after. My current Z has a Flattop F-54 block with early E-88 head (thanks Sunbelt), Isky Cam, Triples etc. I drive it everyday (well almost) and would not hesitate to take it accross country.

I have a SBC, but there's no way I'm going to drive 500 miles in it. There's a couple of turbos hanging off of it and I use an Electromotive TEC3 fuel injection system. Not likely bubba at the local service station would be able to work on it. That's why in my current project I'm keeping everything stock--LS7 in a 93 RX7. At least.....the LS7 is stock other than the high lift cam and ported heads.

i reinforced my opinion recently--took my 50AE all over palm desert, indian wells, 29 palms yesterday--even did a little dirt road--yuck--in her--don't like doing that kind of driving in a good sports car. rather do that in a truk. my 86 turbo is going there thursday--and ha sbeen to sacto and back easily--threw a wheel weight, but that's no biggie--and the slickie has done the sacto trip right now. stock is good. durable. fun. even can be reliable, even with high miles.