HybridZ

Would you drive your Z 500+ miles?

240zV8

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be the first to admit that the OE EFI is confining in terms of power... but in no way is it unreliable. If it is in 'good' condition (as you say), it is nearly bulletproof. I've owned and tuned countless systems and reliability has never been the 'nose wrinkler'.

Usually seems to be broken or loose connectors that are at issue. I agree that if everything is in good shape, then it is fairly reliable. My contention is that it's usually not in very good shape. And when it's in fantastic shape, it's still not very good at making power or tunability, etc.

• Administrators
Usually seems to be broken or loose connectors that are at issue.

Yep, that covers 99% of the problems.

I've only run into a couple of AFM issues and one bad ECM.

My contention is that it's usually not in very good shape.

Agreed. The beauty of it is that its such a simple system, it doesn't usually take much effort to freshen them up. I usually spend more time fixing other peoples 'fixing'.

And when it's in fantastic shape, it's still not very good at making power or tunability, etc.

Amen.

I have had 3 Zs 240, 280 and now 260. This only one that I ever had a problem with was the 280 vapor locking when pulling my Hobie Cat over Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado. The 240 drove from Denver to Houston and back and got just under 30 MPG, The 280 went from Denver to Los Angeles twice and ran fine. Bough my 260 from my sister inlaw in Paso Robles CA and drove it to Bellingham WA and it ran fine, and it sat in a field for around 2 years when I bought it.

The only real part I have ever had to replace was the alternator in the 280 and a rebuild shop installed a new diode plate for around $20.

ive driven my mostly stock 77z with the well termed "craptastic fuel injection" (in terms of tuning and horsepower) from Oklahoma to Oregon twice.. never had a problem except for a windshield wiper flying off ... the only thing i did before each trip was fresh spark plugs, wires and oil change. as long as you do ruetine maintenance and feed them oil.. no telling how long the actual motor will last.. i have over 180k on my car and my dad has a tad over 300k on his built l28. but i have to agree that you will be able to go into any local auto parts store and get parts for a sbc .

'82 280zx turbo

2 trips to Seattle and back from Denver putting on 4200 miles each trip.

1 trip to the z convention in San Antonio round trip about 1800 miles

'73 240 z with an L28 which i refreshed to the z convention in Long Beach in '04.

I have no qualms on taking either on long trips.

Yes, especially when you're not going turbo, getting power out of the L is like squeezing blood from a stone in my opinion. It's a LOT of money for not much hp. When you're talking normally aspirated, a V8 will be MUCH easier to hit high hp goals in with less cost. Many crate motors with a 4 barrel carb will push 350+ hp. To do that in an L you need a (bigger than stock) turbo, intercooler, aftermarket fuel injeciton, bigger injectors, etc etc etc. If you want to find out exactly what it takes, read this thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115887

This thread doesn't work for me, this is the second time I've tried to access it this week and nothing. Is this just me, or is everyone else getting this too.

My bus is a 1972 240Z with a 2.8 litre S.U. carbed engine and electronic ignition. Have more than 500,000 miles ....on the chassis. Three months ago I made a 3000 mile round trip from New Bern, N.C. to Lewiston, Idaho. Trips were the 12th and 13th times I have traveled across the good old US of A in this same car. Only problem I ever experienced on these journeys was when a high pressure fuel pump went duff during a peiod of time when I had an aftermarket motor management system in the car. In my opinion......a well maintained early Z....is extremely reliable........particularly so when equipped with S.U.s. I've owned this car for 18 years, and I drive it every day. Best, John Turner

We bought an early 260 in from a bank in '82 or so, with motor purposely blown at 78,000 miles; did a complete stock rebuild on the bottom end and buttoned it up. My girl drove it until '88 when it was stolen and rolled over a curb at 100+ (high speed chase, 2 15-year-olds). Ignoble end, but it went out with 177,000 miles. She took us to Oregon 6 or 7 times, daily driven in 105+ heat in the summer, always got us home. The only problems encountered were electrical in nature, along with chronic back pain from the truly miserable seats.

The current Z now has a crate 350 with Holley Stealth-Ram, 7730 ecu, vortec l31 heads, Comp 268 Xtreme Energy cam (224/230 deg @ 0.050-inch 0.477-/0.480" w/ 110-deg l.s.a.), dual exhaust, T56 with stock R180 rear-end. I've been driving it on-and-off for 2 years now, the problems encountered involved trannys (used up 2 T-5's) and electrical (fuel pump failure at a gas station - embarrassing). Also, I grenaded the first motor (a 327 that was just wound too tight - it ran a 12.5 the only time I checked it). I've totaled up about 9,000 miles on the new (more conservatively built, high 12's low 13's kind of thing) crate motor, much of it in summer heat, and wouldn't hesitate to take the car a long distance - so long as I bring my tools. Also, I put some decent seats in it, so I think my old spine could take it.

• Administrators
The only problems encountered were electrical in nature, along with chronic back pain from the truly miserable seats.

I would have to say I have driven MANY miles in early Z's. Probably between 3 and 400,000. In terms of reliability, not too many cars have impressed me more. However, as Strotter mentioned, the seats flat SUCK. It could be my personal dimensions. Whatever the reason, for me, the seats are the single biggest inconvienece to travel in an S30.

My 280zxt went to Mexico and back(+1k miles) the summer I bought it non-running. All I did was clean electrical connections and rewire some stuff.

My 280z hasn't been on the long of trips. Maybe a few 200 mile trips, but without defroster (currently) I won't be taking it anywhere far for any time soon. Next year once it gets paint I might visit Chicago in it (~+1200 miles each way).

Mario

Fo sho. I went from houston to orlando and back in the z. That is roughly 2k miles. And I will probably do it again next spring break. I am running stock fuel injection and it gets me everywhere and anywhere very reliably (when I'm nice to her)

In my case, the stock fuel injection has proven itself to be quite reliable.

Doesn't it cost like $2000 to rebuild a l28 to have some nice power compared to one of those crate 350's?

I dont think it takes quite that much. I'm making 460whp out of my L28 without much done to the motor itself. completely stock head/cam/valvetrain, motor is bored .080" over with Ross forged pistons, stock 240z rods, stock crank, ARP hardware and a metal headgasket. Alot of the supporting hardware (fuel supply, exhaust,etc) is gonna cost $$ either way you go.

Since we're talking about actually driving our cars in this thread, I love that i can pick up and drive my Z anywhere and get 28mpg. I dont know many v8's that can boast both the 1/4mile times, hp numbers AND MPG numbers.

All out race car, the V8 is hard to beat. A car you actually take long trips on? Like I said I get 28mpg cruising and I run the car on pump gas and 25 pounds of boost every day.

Oh, Garrett, Garrett, Garrett: that sounds like a challenge! Though my 5.7 isn't wound up as tight as your L28, and for sure the car isn't as fast, with my T56 and "sensible" behavior my '72 is up in that range steady cruising. I did a series of freeway trips to Sacramento a couple of months ago, about 40 miles one way from my house, parts hunting. Topped it off before starting, at the end of the day the tripmeter indicated 267 miles; topped off again with 9.7 gallons, which calculates to 27.5 mpg. Note too that it was a warm day and there was a mile or so of stop-and-go at each end of the trip. To be fair, I was driving like an old woman, but nevertheless I was amazed. I'm convinced I can beat that number by re-enabling the "highway mode" in the ECU, and with a more refined tune.

I have driven my SBC Z31 from KS to NJ, which is about 1350 miles, three times, I never had any problems. it wasn't the most comfortable ride due to the gearing and noise, but I can't complain, I even hit 20 mpg's with it on one tank.

85 Z31: 305 chevy, 3 speed saginaw, 3.70 r200

Oh, Garrett, Garrett, Garrett: that sounds like a challenge! Though my 5.7 isn't wound up as tight as your L28, and for sure the car isn't as fast, with my T56 and "sensible" behavior my '72 is up in that range steady cruising. I did a series of freeway trips to Sacramento a couple of months ago, about 40 miles one way from my house, parts hunting. Topped it off before starting, at the end of the day the tripmeter indicated 267 miles; topped off again with 9.7 gallons, which calculates to 27.5 mpg. Note too that it was a warm day and there was a mile or so of stop-and-go at each end of the trip. To be fair, I was driving like an old woman, but nevertheless I was amazed. I'm convinced I can beat that number by re-enabling the "highway mode" in the ECU, and with a more refined tune.

I didnt intend for it to be a challenge but if you want to surprise me then go for it . . . :) thats what HybridZ is all about.

Yeah, there's a personality type here - and I'm one of them - that always has to "do it a little better", competing endlessly against themselves. Create, operate, observe, reanalyze, redo - it's an seductive cycle. The upside is that eventually you get a pretty functional "thing", the 99% percentile perfect. The downside is that, even after repeated success, there's no satisfaction, all we see is the lacking 1% flaw. An obsession, true, and possibly destructive in the long run; but looking over the results, such as some of the machinery we see here on HZ, it is clear that it can be spectacular, too.