HybridZ

I got another Hood!

Bartman

So I have four hoods now, but I think this is the one I'm going to wind up using. It took some time, but it's completely installed including the factory latch and hinges. In general the hood is pretty cool, but I wish it would have come with rolled edges.

DSCF3264_thumb.JPG

DSCF3261_thumb.JPG

DSCF3262_thumb.JPG

MAN I CAN WAIT UNTELL US ZX guys GET SOME SORT OF AFTERMARKET HOODS MADE FOR US :icon56:

Man I have been waiting for a few years but no luck! And when someone offers to build one it seems like only a few ZX guys want the hood or its too much $$$!

Guy

I'm not planning on opening up the front, because there would be no benefit...in fact it would probably be a hinderance. I think the rear vent will help allow the heat to escape at low speed conditions.

My air intake comes from under the hood before the radiator support, so the front vent wouldn't help for my install. I do want the front vent to appear open at a distance, so I will likely paint the front vent area flat black or something similar.

I'm not planning on opening up the front, because there would be no benefit...in fact it would probably be a hinderance. I think the rear vent will help allow the heat to escape at low speed conditions.

My air intake comes from under the hood before the radiator support, so the front vent wouldn't help for my install. I do want the front vent to appear open at a distance, so I will likely paint the front vent area flat black or something similar.

Wasn't there a whole thread on this? Like aerodynamics of something? Thought I remember someone saying that there is a high air preasure area at the base of the windshield and a "lower" high preasure inside the engine bay, causing air to enter the engine bay from the rear (cowl induction hood).

Wasn't there a whole thread on this? Like aerodynamics of something? Thought I remember someone saying that there is a high air preasure area at the base of the windshield and a "lower" high preasure inside the engine bay, causing air to enter the engine bay from the rear (cowl induction hood).
Yes, there has been several discussions regarding this, but I'm more concerned with low speed venting. Without much speed to create this high pressure area, it comes down to the simple fact that hot air rises and the rear vent allows this heat to escape.

Bartman,

Looks good! That's the same hood Bil aka 93awdgsx has on his car except I believe his is CF. Unfortunately I cannot find the the link where he shared some pics.

Is that the Kaminari air dam? I see lines drawn on the foglamp holes - will you be doing some mods to this?

Ernie/RacerX

awd92gsx has the exact same hood, but he painted his black.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=101130

The airdam is the Kaminari unit, and I'm not planning on any other mods to it other than installing some fog lamps. I'm thinking smaller oval units instead of the big ones that it was originally designed for.

A special thanks to boate for making me a great deal on the hood.

I have that exact same hood on both cars:)

awd92gsx was one of the first customers of my hoods, but it isn't carbon fiber. I have checked into carbon fiber but was advised against it by the experts based on the bias of the carbon fiber weave.

If anyone has any questions please fire away and of course the order window is always open.

So I've got the hood installed using the stock hinges (with the springs removed), and I have a little problem. When I drive the car the under hood pressure pushs the hood up a little. It really bugs me to see the hood higher than the fender while I'm driving. When I stop I can push the hood back down, but when I'm driving it stays up.

The only solution I can think of is to put in a couple of hood pins on top of the radiator support. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

So I've got the hood installed using the stock hinges (with the springs removed), and I have a little problem. When I drive the car the under hood pressure pushs the hood up a little. It really bugs me to see the hood higher than the fender while I'm driving. When I stop I can push the hood back down, but when I'm driving it stays up.

The only solution I can think of is to put in a couple of hood pins on top of the radiator support. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Is there any way to fasten the hood like oem with mods? Just wondering as I see you still have stock latch on the firewall.

To AE2ZX,

I have just bought a 280ZX hood for my 280 from Japan, web site would need to be translated using google etc, but they speak english if you contact them...

The bonnets are available for: S30 (240Z), S130 (280ZX), Z31, Z32 & Z33...

Materials are:

1: FRP (Fibreglass)

2: Carbon Fibre plain (----) weave

3: Carbon Fibre plain (----) weave + special clearing paint

4: Carbon Fibre twill (###) weave

5: Carbon Fibre twill (###) weave + special clearing paint

The clear coat is to protect the Carbon Fibre from sun etc in case you do not intend to paint it the car colour.

Prices are: JPY (Japanese Yen)

S30: 1. Y67,200 2. Y86,100; 3. Y101,850; 4. Y88,200; 5. Y103,950

S130: 1. Y70,350 2. Y90,300; 3. Y106,050; 4. Y92,400; 5. Y108,150

...for Z31, Z32 & Z33 take a look:

http://proudear.shop-pro.jp/?mode=cate&cbid=22124&csid=0

Cheers from NZ

I have also seen this web site, but have no idea on quality etc, but looks interesting...

http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/280zx.html

---280ZX #33 Race Car & 280ZX 2+2 owner---

Where along the hood is it lifting? I think you ended up with a hood I sold to a local guy that ended up selling his car with the hood. I am trying to remember which configuration he requested.

The hood is lifting at the front hinges. The hood itself is not bending at all, it is raising up because the hinge is raising up. I probably do have the hood your talking about. I got it from boate who told me that it came with his car.

Is there any way to fasten the hood like oem with mods? Just wondering as I see you still have stock latch on the firewall.
It is fastened like oem, and it works fine except for this lift that I think is caused because the hinges no longer have the springs to keep them down when closed.

Bartman,

Can you email me a close up picture of the hood mounted to the hinges? I just went and tried to pull up on my hood and I get a little bit of movement due to hinge "sloppyness". It only moves about 1/16". The missing hood springs should not be causing the problem since they are only for holding the hood up. I don't have my springs in either.