HybridZ

R200 Short nose carrier into a R200 Long nose

Ericshere03

Actually this question isn't dealt with in that FAQ. There is some confusion as to the spline count on the later VLSDs. The early ones from the 88 SS are 30 spline, and it looks as though the later ones returned to the 29 spline like the open diff and Z31T LSD. But the VLSD takes a longer spline to engage all the way into the side gears (don't do this and the LSD doesn't function).

The LSD will bolt right in and I am positive that you can either use the 10mm bolts on the 12mm holes in the carrier, or make shims for the ring gear bolts from some 12mm OD 10mm ID tubing. That takes care of that part. The issue is what CV shafts would you have to use, and is there an adapter that would fit. That part I'm not too sure about.

If you do the swap, PLEASE give us all the details here since this newer VLSD vs older VLSD thing is still kind of a mystery...

I was pretty sure I had read a post from a guy that said he tried in one of those two treads, he said that it does'nt fit. Now I went back to check and can't find anything so, I checked the tread about the OBX unit, nothing there either, I'm starting to think my mind is playing tricks on me.

Weird! Anyways, if I can find the post, I'll post the link here.

It will fit, but as Jon states, the axle shaft is where the problem is. I have a short nosed VLSD in a long nose but don't have any halfshafts for it so this diff just sits in my garage. Hopefully someone will find the mystery halfshaft to use with this combo.

Joe

Ok I might have found some more details on the VLSD shaft issue. Now it appears that Nissan have swapped a few times. Yep these changes do not help if you are wanting to pick a cheap VLSD shortnose and install it in your long nose.

I found this on a drifting site (driftworks.com)

Donor Vehicle //////// Shaft Type ////// Number of Splines on output shaft

S13 Early (Open) ///// Long //////////// 29

S13 Facelift (VLSD)/// Short /////////// 29

S14 (All) (VLSD) ///// Short /////////// 30

This ain't gospel, its just what I've found to be true. If anybody has any tried and tested contradictory findings, now is the time to say so!

Well it gets worse than that - someone came back to say they have found that there are indeed two type of shafts for the S14 range also :( it appears that these changed 1/2 throught the S14 production. Also on this forum in the same thread (see http://www.driftworks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1208 ) there is talk about the two different shafts sizing - ie 30mm and 31mm. Now given the other threads on this site "OBX" etc it would appear this is true the 29spline shafts are on a 30mm shaft and the 30splines on the 31mm shaft.

This info is for the S13/14/15 only I have not done research on the Skyline range or other JDM Nissans that were RWD fitted with R200 short VLSD.

Our Long Nose diffs (open and CLSD for these type of diffs) require 29spline 30mm shafts. The 88SS VLSD has 30spline 31mm shafts (assume given info on this site :) never seen a set and might not ever in this part of the world). It would also appear that all open centers be they long nose or short nose all take the 29spline 30mm shafts. All S13 VLSD take the 29spline 30mm shafts so don't get one of these the open shafts don't have the long bit to engage the Viscous center = open diff. The early S14 have the 29spline 30mm VLSD centers also. But the later S14 VLSD require the 30spline 31mm shafts. The S15 Helical also requires the 30spline 31mm shafts and I assume so do the S15 VLSD.

So anyone here who has successfully done the VLSD conversion using the 88SS shafts (ie Sean73) do you know what car the VLSD center came from? If it was from as S14 it must have been a later S14.

Again all this is for the S1x cars I have no idea on the Z32's, Skylines or other short nose VLSD centers and what shafts they require. With all this differences I assume this is why on the S13/14/15 type sites state when changing centers always get the input shafts that match the center.

This is not too much help for use with the older type cars that don't have the alxes passing through the hubs like these new models, we need to know more about the center we are purchasing to ensure it will work with our shafts. So if you have R200 Uni joints with the 260z/280z plug in inputs then you can't use a VLSD from any car as they are not long enough to engage the Viscous center. So if you want a LSD you have the choice of CLSD center from a number of manufactures, Nismo, KAAZ, or HLSD from Quaife (must have 29spline given they list a part number for our long nose diffs), OBX 240sx unit for S13 (what I have and can confirm the 29spline 30mm shaft is required).

If you go VLSD you will need to ensure you get a VLSD that take the 30spline 31mm shafts then pickup a set of 88SS CV shafts, some matching companion flanges (see Ross from MM) and you are in business. VLSD know to work with this setup is the Infinity J30 VLSD center see this site for details http://www.zrelated.com/VLSD.htm and assume the later S14 or S15 VLSD centers.

Now given that S15 helical units also require the 30spline 31mm shafts I would assume the same would apply - pick up a S15 Helical center, some 88SS shafts, companion flanges and you are in business - anybody care to try this and lets us know if this is a solution? The only issue with might be the long Viscous shaft might need to be cut down for the Helical unit.

Now I would give this a go if I could

A: get the 88SS shafts local :(

B: not purchased the OBX Helical center already.

The only other option is custom shafts/flanges with whatever center you install.

So I hope that clears some of the shaft issues up.

I thought the carriers were all interchangeable within a given diff series, i.e. R180's all the same carrier, R200 all the same carrier. If this is not the the case, I may have a bigger headache than I thought.....

Well looking on ebay, they sell Torsen Gleason type (they call Helical) diffs for the R200 Short nose with origional open end. By the looks of it it seems that they will not only bolt right up to our diffs (12MM), (correct me if i am wrong) but also work with our axels, we can use 240-280z half shafts or the turbo CV shafts, has anyone done this before? i dont think these need the extended side input shafts like viscous units, plus its gear driven instant LSD action, the only question is quality i may only put a maximum of 300HP (stroker) so i think it can handle it, ive seen other right ups on 240sx forums that suggest that they are good units however sloppy put together, so make sure there are no stripped screws and the unit is clean of metal debris.

Any experience???

Eric Wolf

12mm carrier holes with 10mm bolts is not a problem. You can either clock the ring gear so that it rests on the side of the hole (sounds cheesy but it works) or if you're really anal like me you can make ring gear spacers. Just take 12mm OD 10mm ID tubing and cut into small pieces, slide over the ring gear bolts and now there is no more slop. The only thing about the spacers is you don't want to make them too long, or they'll prevent the ring gear from being tightened down against the carrier. Too short is not a problem.

The other option is get a later longnose R200 diff out of a 300ZX or 240SX with 12mm ring gear bolts. I can't remember the dates, but they were produced from something like 85-89. A search should get the exact dates if you really want to do it right.

Well looking on ebay, they sell Torsen Gleason type (they call Helical) diffs for the R200 Short nose with origional open end. By the looks of it it seems that they will not only bolt right up to our diffs (12MM), (correct me if i am wrong) but also work with our axels, we can use 240-280z half shafts or the turbo CV shafts, has anyone done this before? i dont think these need the extended side input shafts like viscous units, plus its gear driven instant LSD action, the only question is quality i may only put a maximum of 300HP (stroker) so i think it can handle it, ive seen other right ups on 240sx forums that suggest that they are good units however sloppy put together, so make sure there are no stripped screws and the unit is clean of metal debris.

Any experience???

Eric Wolf

oops i re read NZender's post, looks like the "helical OBX unit is a go-ahead which is really good considering i can get 2 OBX units for the same price as 1 Nissan 300zx CLSD, plus i like the gear concept better and i have 2 Z's ... Well a Z and ZX, ill be sure to post my experiences with the unit, i plan on dropping a 350 into the 280zx ..... eventually, right now its stripped and waiting interior modifications ad restoration and body kit and a little rust damage....oh so much fun :D

So if you want a LSD you have the choice of CLSD center from a number of manufactures, Nismo, KAAZ, or HLSD from Quaife (must have 29spline given they list a part number for our long nose diffs), OBX 240sx unit for S13 (what I have and can confirm the 29spline 30mm shaft is required).

12mm carrier holes with 10mm bolts is not a problem. You can either clock the ring gear so that it rests on the side of the hole (sounds cheesy but it works) or if you're really anal like me you can make ring gear spacers. Just take 12mm OD 10mm ID tubing and cut into small pieces, slide over the ring gear bolts and now there is no more slop. The only thing about the spacers is you don't want to make them too long, or they'll prevent the ring gear from being tightened down against the carrier. Too short is not a problem.

The other option is get a later longnose R200 diff out of a 300ZX or 240SX with 12mm ring gear bolts. I can't remember the dates, but they were produced from something like 85-89. A search should get the exact dates if you really want to do it right.

Thats exactally what i wanted to do, i want to change the gearing anyways, i dont think the bone yard will charge too much for a non LSD diff from a 300zx, but then agian they wanted to charge me 550 for a 5-speed.

Joe

I ordered these from my local auto parts store. Unfortunately they called back to tell me only the driver side is available and that I would have to go to Nissan for the passenger side.

Nevertheless, I have gone ahead with the driver side to determine if 30 spline 31mm diameter is indeed what these SS axles are. Should this be correct then I guess I will have to hunt the junkyards for a good condition passenger side axle.

Matt

Joe

I ordered these from my local auto parts store. Unfortunately they called back to tell me only the driver side is available and that I would have to go to Nissan for the passenger side.

Matt

Matt - great stuff so we will know for sure if the S15 HLSD will take these 88 SS shafts :) Now with regards to "only the drivers side" thing - with the HLSD you don't need the longer VLSD passenger input shaft as the HLSD is different and requires two shorter inputs much like the CLSD and open centers. So if the one drivers side shaft you get does fit the S15 HLSD then just pick up another drivers side. Not sure which side has the shorter shaft (my car is still in bits and I am now only just starting to work on the rear end) on the 300ZXT (Z31) but if you install two of the shorter units this will over come the binding/fliping requirements when doing the CV conversion?

• 3 weeks later...

Well the supposed 88 SE cv axle finally arrived - unfortunately it is a standard 300zxt axle 29 spline and smaller diameter than the S15 input shafts. So back to the parts store it goes. It was a rebuilt unit from A1Cardone part number 60-6100. The store had indicated that what they ordered was specifically for the 1988 SE model with VLSD but clearly it wasn't.

The solution it seems to me at this stage is to buy a set of S13 cv's and a set of 300zx cv's and then use the larger 6 bolt ends from the S13 axles paired with the 4 bolt 300zx ends (on the 300zx axle) using the MM cv adapters. Unfortunately it won't be the most cost effective solution.

If anyone has a pair of the 88 se axles please measure the diameter (s/b ~31mm) with 30 spline count.

Thanks

Matt

Joe

Nevertheless, I have gone ahead with the driver side to determine if 30 spline 31mm diameter is indeed what these SS axles are. Should this be correct then I guess I will have to hunt the junkyards for a good condition passenger side axle.

Matt