HybridZ

Old School Photos

RacerX

I know a lot of folks like the alfas... We include the local Alfa club in our THSCC race series events... along with a lot of other enthusiast clubs for all makes...

But.. the Alfa guys bear the brunt of many jokes at our driver's meetings... They are slow cars... In ANY FORM.... race street or hybridized... they are unreliable, hard to find parts for.. and they tend to loose a lot of parts and fluids on track...

You have to keep in mind that the 240Zs absolutely CRUSHED damn near ANYTHING offered before 1970...

It always amuses me when I come up behind a historic, race-built Alfa smelling like race gas and synthetic oil... and then I overtake it so fast I barely avoid clipping it... I have little interest in historic racing prior to 1970... the cars are often out of reach price wise... and they are just about as fast as a mid 1980s Ford Fiesta...

I would put a 1995 Toyota Camry WAGON up against most of the historics and bet against the historics... even a low end minivan could beat 90% of those cars on track...

Even the lovely looking Jaguar race cars in this thread are piss poor race cars... they have a lot of power.. top speed is IMPRESSIVE... but they DONT TURN!!! honestly they don't even accelerate very quickly.. they just have a 200MPH top speed... if they have a couple of miles in a staight line... they can break 200MPH...

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Ernie, I should have stated that the factory Audi's never used the V-8's in the US, when the factory pulled the plug on the Group44 effort, I lost interest in the Audi's completely.

During the time that Group44 was campaigning the Audi's, I worked around the corner from Tullius' shop and was trying to get a job there, even if it was to sweep the floors.

The sad part is, IIRC correctly, it was also the last road racing effort of Group44. It wasn't long after that they tried their hand at "Smashcar" Busch series racing with sponsorship from one of the local apple companies, and then the race shop was taken over by Tom Milner who then built up PTG.

It would have been nicer if I had been a few years older when I moved here to VA and could have gotten a job with them when they were still racing the Trans Am XJS and then the GTP Jaguars, which in my mind are still possibly the most beautiful race cars of all time.

I had begun building an ITS 280Z in late 88, so the money was important and none of the race teams I talked to could come close to offering what I was making then, the only one that came close was Tom Walkinshaw, Peter Ferrell bluntly told me I didn't want a job with him....:icon53:

I'll PM you a funny story that happened during that IMSA race weekend.

Guest 81na ZX
and speaking of Alfas - I still have a soft spot for the GTV6...

Right before I moved out here in September, I saw a mostly clean GTV6 parked on the street in down town Ann Arbor ;)

I could go on and on about AROC of michigan and the awesome autox's they put on :D

The Lambo is one of my favorites... just because it is so rediculous on the street...

lamboracer1.jpg

lambofront.jpg

lamborear.jpg

lambocockpit.jpg

lambocockpit2.jpg

lambocockpit3.jpg

I couldn't swear to it.... But I asked the owner what he had done to the fuel injection system...???

IIRC... He told me that it was a Megasquirt system... I know he picked the car up for around $70,000 and spent relatively little $$$ getting it into trackable shape... I do believe he ended up with a BMW a couple of years later...

lamboengine.jpg

I could go on and on about AROC of michigan and the awesome autox's they put on :D

Agreed - I've been to a few of their autoXs, and they do a great job. I've noticed that they seem to prefer shorter, tighter courses - go figure :mrgreen: . There is a really nice older GTV like the one posted first in this thread on the next block over from me.

Davy - Thanks for bringing up the Pantera! Like Ernie says one of the best supercars of all time. I have enver had the prviledge of riding in one, but love them to death as well. The GT5-S is the lastest body style you are thinking about Ernie and I believe only a few made it over to the US I have a press release test that I can dig-up and scan. I continue to look on eBay at these monsters!

Awesome

Here is a 1988 model:

detomaso-pantera-gt5-s-1988.jpg

1989 model:

S2300072.gif

Yasin

I love my Vette, and I love my Z - But the Detomaso Pantera Group 4 /GT4 is my favorite: Go here http://www.pim.net if you want to drool !!!!

A friend who manages a body shop e-mailed me a picture of the black pantera above during the body work process. (He did not take the photo, I did not take the photo)He was working on a Pantera with steel flares instead of the fiberglass ones and received this photo and several others to use as a guide.

Flare_kit_pantera.jpg