HybridZ

Old School Photos

RacerX

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I had photos of my car from the PO. In 1981 he had Porsche 930 flares added to a 73 240Z, and used the headlight mechanisims from a Corvette to make Pop-Up headlights in the hood, and glassed over the stock headlight (lens covers). He was running 14X13's in the back, and 14X10's in the front. Neat JDM wheels, gold centered. Running something like 295/575R-14 Dunlop Slicks on the back, and 265's up front. When I got the car he hood and glass covers were gone. And the largest wheels I could find were 14X12 Watanabes. They sit in storage waiting to find some unobtainable 14" slicks....

I, too, lament trashing my set of Hayashi Racing Wheels. Had a set...3 of 4 and it was moving time... So to the scrap yard they went. Saw them recently being sold in pairs on Japanese Websites for disgusting prices.

This was a very complete engine swap kit provide by Nordskog. I believe this was introduced prior to the JTR manual and around the time Scarab Engineering introduced their line of V8 Datsun Zcar. You'll note the "350Z" name - referencing the Chevy 350 cid engine. Interesting that years later - like now!! The new Zcar is called 350Z!!

DatsunV8_NordskogSwapKit.jpg

I have a NordskogZ in the back yard! When I picked it up, I got the original invoice, and conversion manual. neat stuff, same brochure and promotionals you show here. Mine even has a California BAR certification label in the doorjamb showing the legality of the engine swap!

Man, how did I miss this thread for so long!?!?!? LOL

"To compare that with cart-sprung, ladder-chassised products from Europe - produced in countries effectively still recovering from wartime devastation even into the 1960s - is fairly pointless I think."

I might add that Japan was still stinging from the occupation at that same time. They didn't exactly come through the war unscathed... Had the island-jumping campaign taken the next step from Okinawa to the southern islands Japan would have looked like Eastern Germany did in the 1960's...and that would be generous given what happened during the Okinawa Campaign.

In either case, it wasn't the design so much as someone's latching on to tradition and "the way things are done" that did in their efforts. The British Automotive Establishment could have modernised just as the Japanese did after the war. They chose not to, and paid a dear price as the Japanese put product out that redefined sectors insted of simply trying to perpetuate them.

With the recent goings on in the Automotive world, the companies truly left unscathed by the War are now in their death throes.

Chrysler is part of a German Company. GM is about to be overtaken by Toyota as "#1", and Ford just put it's finance company in hock as collateral for loand to keep operations going...

Sad thing is the "big three" watched, and didn't learn a damn thing. They refused to modernise for years, and though Institutional Inertia and sheer Glacial Size took this long to come to loggerheads with their inevitable fate...

/Rant Mode Off/

I lament the loss of a 'car with a soul'...

I digress. Great thread!

Ernie,

I can imagine it providing some power gains on a car with anotherwise open exhaust. Maybe with a bullet muffler but if you put a turbo muffler or glasspack then the megaphone would be counteracted by restricting the exhaust. Would something like this help with a turbo powered car evacuate gasses? With an N/A motor it would be more critical than a turbo one I would think. Maybe I'll make a new thread about them...

Rally celica

grupa_b_celica.gif

Regarding Megaphone exhaust tips...

They work similar to a rear diffuser. A lower pressure area is created as the exhaust gases expand to fill the increasing area. A good megaphone has a 14 degree cones which, surprisingly, is made of 7 degree sides. This the ideal angle to slow the air down and not have it detach.

Merge collectors have replaced Megaphones because you get an even greater pressure drop close to the header collector. A merge collector with a 14 degree cone (megaphone) is what I install on all my customer's race exhausts. And, incidnetally, it does make the exhaust significantly louder even though I normally add 10 feet of 3" exhaust tubing after the merge.

srgunz... There's something about the Jag XKE's that remind me of the early-mid seventies Firebirds and Camaros... too much weight on the front and too light on the rear... with little suspension mods to compensate. This isn't to say I don't LIKE them... just that they aren't the BEST designed.

srgunz,

you posted some of my photos from a long time ago like Bob Sharp's Zcar and the Victors Zcar - lol!!

The photo of #19 Zcar is one from John Washington's website advertising the 940Z I believe. Has anyone seen other photos of the 944 style flares on a Zcar?

Ernie/RacerX

A few photos I got from Datsun when I worked at a Dealership. A couple from the Net and a couple of my own shots years ago.

Here are 3 Z photos that I shot in the 1970's. I do not think I have ever posted them before. I did give them to Carl Beck a while back. They are photos of the sole remaining #3 BRE car from that time period. The track is Blackhawk Farms Raceway. Now for a rare look into the past!

32c.jpg

32b.jpg

32a.jpg