HybridZ

Fuel Rails

george.bryant

I've just been looking at my fuel rail on my L20et as i've been pulling the manifolds off and it's ugly and looks unefficient...

I've seen custom fuel rails on l28et's on this forum (Pallnet was one of the brands?).

Then I was looking on Trademe and I found http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Fuel-systems/auction-78906554.htm

How would I make a fuel rail for a L6 out of this, i mean does anyone have any pictures using of anyone using rail like this? What injector options would be a good setup, or should I jsut stick with the Barb style ones? I've heard vg30det injectors are a good upgrade for the L20et, can anyone tell me the flow rate of l20et injectors compared with other L6s?

Sorry bout all the questions:lol: (maybe I should put bullets next to them next time:s)

Hey George, i got the same rail as that a while ago, the bottom side of the rail is offset so the the new type of injectors can be mounted centrally without the wiring clips hitting the to, but you will need someone to drill the correct holes for the injectors you get as well as the manifold, you will also need to make some brackets to hold it to the manifold, the fittings you need to suit the hole in the end of the rail is a metric 18mm (i got a 18x1.5 speedflow fitting) hope that helps a little.

If you can get the rail in bulk reasonably, marking the holes and drilling/reaming for injectors and fuel fittings is just a matter of careful measurement and a good drill press and vice. Basic Machinists work. It's not all that complicated, IMO the barbed injectors make it FAR easier for the novice due to the fitting placement not being "as critical" as when you use O-Ringed injectors.

Just make sure you have a proper reamer. I tried making some injector blocks and did not have good luck using as-drilled holes to seal the injector. I went and bought the appropriately sized reamer and drilled the holes slightly undersized and then hand-reamed them to size, and my "leaks" evaporated. (er....no pun intended! LOL)

sure, but that's a LOT of extra work! And massive expense, for the addedcost of the AN fittings, you could simply buy the Pallnet fuel rail and have something that works.

I mean, for all practical purposes, we are talking about spending $47 for three feet of rail stock and doing all the work, and I believe the last time I checked Pallnet's rails complete and warranteed were around $150 or something like that... If the goal is making it for $100, you are saving $50, but "at what cost in your own time"? I don't have a lot of time, so the extra $50 isn't going to be as big a factor for me...I either pay someone to do it, or it just won't get done in a year... Case in Point my Megasquirt Install. Bought on last "group buy" and had it installed after a year, and now almost four years later, the car still sits there...no time to trace the bugs and make it work. When I get home there are other more pressing items to attend to.

So checking out Pallnets rails may suprise you!

would it be feasible to make 6 individual injector blocks and connect with braided/AN? if you were that DIY'er and didnt want to risk making the holes out of measurement.

i don't think that's as efficient as getting a rail stock as tony suggested.

You could always just mount the rail further back over the intake plenum or higher up over the injectors and have the injector inlets connected using small gasoline hose as pictured in the second setup.

since you'll be making your tabs to mount the rail yourself, you could just try and get the holes as close as possible, and put hose on the ends and tweak and bend them a bit to get them to the injectors.

far better than making small containers for each injector, i think.

• 1 month later...

Okay, Question. I have a stock, mostly, 2.8. I want a fuel rail for the look. I dont like the barbs with the hose to stock injectors and was told one of the Supra injectors work better. What does better mean? I was told with the Supra injector you can just hook the rail to the injector and then the injector to original injector hole. Is it this easy?

I assume it will deliver more fuel, hence burn more gas, and maybe give more performance in responce to pushing on the gas. How far off am I?

What do I want? A cleaner look with less conections to worry about hissing , leaks, etc. Would a fuel rail really be plug in and go no troubles, worries, etc or do you have to add more?

Thanks for breaking it down for me. I am better with body work and brakes than engine stuff.

PS

Does increasing the throttle body size make a big difference too?

For a turbo motor with stock L28ET EFI you can run the yellow top Supra injectors they flow right over 300cc and you can tweek out the AFM just a hair to be able to run them, adding the 60mm TB helps with throttle responce, whith a properly tuned setup and the 60mm TB setup the car becomes very "snappy" off from a dead stop and when you're just punching into it while cruising.

I made my first fuel rail using regular rail stock and barb fittings for use with the stock injectors, when I swapped to DSM's I did not hesitate to order the pallnet, I know there was no way I could get all those holes spaced right, if you are a mahiniest or have a machinist willing to help by all means you can reproduce ti and save a few bucks, i think when I got mine it was about $125 with fittings! he's not getting right off of these, and paying him is cheaper then building it twice because the first one was a little off