HybridZ

rebuilding stock turbos to higher hp! WHAT ARE YOU RUNNING?

neorazz

im starting a thread that hopefully with achive sticky status

first what is the stock turbo specs for any given year ?

compressor wheel trim / exhaust trim

any housing changes needed ? oil or oil/water ? est. hp ?

just as base line refrence

second what are you running ?

year z model

compressor wheel trim / exhaust trim

any housing changes needed ? oil or oil/water ? est. hp ?

mostly cause im rebuilding my turbo right now and want to go with more power (of course) and was finding it difficult to find base #'s

STock T3 from a 95 300z

DSC00385.jpg

DSC00386.jpg

DSC00388.jpg

DSC00390.jpg

DSC00391.jpg

DSC00393.jpg

DSC00394.jpg

DSC00395.jpgDSC00396.jpg

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

Heres the burt oil buildup that killed the engine it was originaly attached to

DSC00401.jpg

DSC00403.jpg

DSC00399.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

• 5 months later...

Don't know if this really needs a sticky There are alot of compressor maps out there and posts on here.

S130 and Z31's up to 87'. Compressor wheel is a T3 60 trim. Standard T3 turbine wheel. Compressor flows 34 lbs/min.

If you want more power, finish rebuilding it and sell it. You could go with a T4 compressor on it that will move more air but the turbine will limit power just as much.

I didn't see a pic with the turbine wheel out of the housing. Don't forget to replace the piston ring on it.

• 2 weeks later...

wow. that was one dirty turbo. i got a hold of a t3 and a parts t3. i got both off of ebay and the parts t3 was $10 and had all of the rebuild parts. saved myself at least $80 in parts. neither of my turbos were that dirty. i media blasted the parts that i was going to use and sprayed black heat paint on the turbine side. i am doing a turbo swap to my N/A 77 280z and just wanted to start off with the stock parts for now. after all it is a jump from no turbo at all. i have limited myself from not working on the turbo in the house. what i have learned from people that rebuild these for a living is to coat everything in ENGINE ASSEMBLY LUBE. that is very important and possibly overlooked. you dont put a cam back in a motor dry do you? turbos should be handled the same way. all of the reading that i have done on this site i havent seen anything about putting them back together with the lube. if you dont have the turbo back together yet, get it media blasted at a machine shop then put a nice coat of heat paint on the bearing housing and turbine housing. i am also going to port out the whole turbo. why not, it is apart now. there is my $.02

• 1 month later...
Did you clapm it in a vise and tap it with a hammer ?I would try some heat on it. If it's propane it will take a while. A torch would be better.

I burnt the living $#!+ out of my hand :cry: after heating the exhaust / turbine section. I quit after that. I'll give it another shot.

Thanks,

Guy

about taking the bolts out... there isnt enough room to get a socket on, and a regular opened end wrench will strip the head off the bolt. i had a few of the bolts get stuck on me. i sprayed the hell out of them with release agent and then let it sit for a while. after that i used a tubing wrench. it wont slip off the bolt and you can get it in the tight spots. you can try hitting the wrench with a hammer. it might work and it might bust the bolt head. put the turbo in a vice and maybe try a small cheater pipe on the wrench. i will eventually give. hopefully it dosent bust the bolt. you'll be in a world of hurt then. hope that helped some. it worked for me.

about taking the bolts out... there isnt enough room to get a socket on, and a regular opened end wrench will strip the head off the bolt. i had a few of the bolts get stuck on me. i sprayed the hell out of them with release agent and then let it sit for a while. after that i used a tubing wrench. it wont slip off the bolt and you can get it in the tight spots. you can try hitting the wrench with a hammer. it might work and it might bust the bolt head. put the turbo in a vice and maybe try a small cheater pipe on the wrench. i will eventually give. hopefully it dosent bust the bolt. you'll be in a world of hurt then. hope that helped some. it worked for me.

The bolts came off with a good bit of effort, but my issue was with the separation of the turbine from the center bearing once the bolts were loose. Your note is completely true though! Thanks

it should just pull out. there is a small piston ring that is on the end where the terbine blade is. that is mostly what is holding it in there. if you are going to do a full rebuild there isnt that much harm you can do. try tapping the other end of the shaft with a dead blow hammer or a hammer and 2X4. it should pop out. guys correct me if im wrong. i have taken 2 apart and that was a few months ago.

im starting a thread that hopefully with achive sticky status

second what are you running ?

My turbo is a T04E .50 AR compressor housing with an Innovative Turbo compressor wheel (see below compressor map). The CHRA is watercooled with oil fittings in the stock Datsun locations. It's a "big shaft" with a 360* bearing. The turbine housing is a modified Datsun .63. The turbine wheel is a T3 Stage V 10 blade. This turbo was built so I could use the Datsun internal wastegate and so I would need a spacer to clear the exhaust manifold.

At some point I'd like to go to a GT35R with a .63 turbine housing.

gt58.jpg