HybridZ

I Dyno'd My Z

Overkill Z

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
For the record, not everything Braap posts pictures of is entirely his work :wink:

Yeah, Ron got to install the plug wires, :lmao:

Ok, Ron is responsible for all the intake massaging, DIS installation and tuning, and a fair amount of the other details in the engine bay as well. I only built the engine…

borded to a 3 liter.. fordged high compression pistons..motorsport headers...custom intake...flamethrower coild and low rms wires...no cat..3 inch stainless xhaust pipe...STOCK CAM :( thats next....300zx fuel pump...underdriven pullys...umm..i thats all i can think of at the moment...that run was with octane booster and all...i want more!!! i think after its smog exempt..time for my skyline motor!!!

I hate to burst your bubble, but if that's Mill Valley, CA you're in, then you're out of luck on the waiting to be smog exempt. Check here:

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/Smogcheck/doineed.htm

"Beginning April 1, 2005, the 30-year rolling exemption has been repealed. Instead, vehicles 1975 model-year and older will be exempt. Therefore, 1976 model-year and newer vehicles will continue to be subject to biennial inspection indefinitely."

That is only a partial reading of the smog laws regarding vehicles and what kind of exemptions they are entailed to. A more thorough reading the the laws will uncover some 35 year rolling exemptions from VISUAL checks. You still have to pass the sniffer, but that's easy enough for a one-eyed retard on mescaline. The VISUAL component is the killer, and there will be vehicles that are specifically exempted from visual inspections on a 35 year rolling exemption. Right now it covers 1973-older, in 2007 it will cover 74-older. In time, yes the 76 can be exempted from the visual inspection, but it's up to you to figure out which hoops you will have to jump through...

I hate to burst your bubble, but if that's Mill Valley, CA you're in, then you're out of luck on the waiting to be smog exempt. Check here:

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/Smogcheck/doineed.htm

"Beginning April 1, 2005, the 30-year rolling exemption has been repealed. Instead, vehicles 1975 model-year and older will be exempt. Therefore, 1976 model-year and newer vehicles will continue to be subject to biennial inspection indefinitely."

I KNOW FUCKN ARNOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SENT HIM AN ANGRY EMAIL LOL

It wasn't Arnold that did it, it was the air quality orginization.

Mountjoy from Arcadia (ran against Feinstein this round of elections for her senate seat) tried to get the old BAR90 put into the State Constitution, it passed all Federal Mandates, but one, and that was a simple fix. The reason he wanted it into the constitution was that to change the smog system, you would need a 2/3 vote of THE PEOPLE, instead of some unaccountable, appointed board.

People, instead of whinging about this kind of stuff, GET INVOLVED! If it wasn't for SEMA doing HEAVY lobbying on automotive aftermarket manufacturers' behalf, the 30 year exemption would have been eliminated PERIOD! There is now a 35 year rolling exemption of the VISUAL testing criteria, but only for specific vehicles---read the laws and find out what those are, I'm not spooning this out. The more people that READ the laws, the more people who will realize when BS is being dished out.

Want to REALLY change the SMOG system, call your local repressentative, and cry holy hell to get them to STOP THE MNUNICIPAL AND STATE EXEMPTION for those vehicles. Cop Cars, Busses, those ratty 1951 Water District Stepsides.... They all are EXEMPT from being tested. Do you realize how many state and local municipal vehicles there are?

Want to know the logic behind 'exempting' them from the smog system?

"It puts an undue financial burden upon municipalities operating large fleets of vehicles to comply with the states SMOG law."

Excuse me, but if it's required for the PEOPLE, it should be required of EVERYONE! If they can't comply with the SMOG system requirements, and their fleets of vehicles start getting red-tagged and Joe Detective can't drive his cruiser home every night....how long do you tink the laws will remain as insane as they have been?

I digress...

i bet my car puts out less then arnolds 5 hummers

Actually, probably not. One of them is H2 Powered (as in Hydrogen).

And modern EFI controlled and catalyzed vehicles are VERY clean. In some cases down here in SoCal, the exhaust coming out of some vehicles is actually CLEANER than the air it's taking in! This was the impetus behind Ford and Englehardt doing a joint venture to turn the Radiator of the Crown Vic into a CATALYST BED! The low-temperature technology of the Englehardt catalyst laid on the radiator cleaned the air enough that the tailpipe emissions were again compliant.

Ford had reached a point where the excess hydrocarbons in the INCOMING AMBIENT AIR were enough of a problem that it was affecting their tailpie numbers!!!

I am actually FOR smog testing of ALL vehicles, but NOT under the regulations we have now. It should be a TAILPIPE test ONLY, and the resultant numbers should be a SET TARGET based on YEAR OF MANUFACTURE for the CHASSIS. But this is a digression I am getting into...

Unless you are running a very well-controlled EFI system slightly lean at cruise (or Three-Way Catalyzed), chances are all five of Arnold's hummers runnning combined will put out less pollutants per mile driven than your vehicle...

New cars ARE VERY CLEAN. But there is no reason common sense legislation can't be passed to make it EASIER for older vehicles to be EASILY retrofitted so long as they PASS AT THE TAILPIPE (REGARDLESS OF ENGINE CONFIGURATION)... Don't worry, 2010 your car will fall under the new 35 year rule for tailpipe only testing.... But will you be ready with the proper documents to take advantage of that law???

• Administrators

As a couple of you mentioned, a dyno sheet doesn't show the whole picture. A 50hp car can be faster than a 100hp car, even at the same weight. The WAY it makes its power is more important than the peak. And, HOW it functions with the rest of the car is equally important.

It does however, if taken in the right context, contain useful information. A dyno report shouldn't be completely discounted, just looked at in proper perspective.

I absolutely love the torque curve (or should I say line?) of the straight-6 engines. Super-easy to drive when cruising on the highway without a lot of shifting when you want to pass, and easy to launch, not bogging down like a 4cyl or over-revving like a v8. That, and they're very rugged, being easy to internally balance and having lots of room to put strong (wide) main bearings in. Plus, they're easy to work on in the car with so much space on either side.