HybridZ

Pics of my new brakes

I just got my brakes and I decided to take a few pics.

P1010004-1.jpg

This one shows the new ZRaceProducts aluminum adapters for the 4X4 calipers, my new rear rotors and my cross drilled front rotors.

P1010003-1.jpg

Different angle same thing.

P1010002-1.jpg

This one has the adapters sitting on the front rotors.

As you may have noticed in the pics the adapters are not just a flat piece of aluminum with some holes drilled in it. These are machined out to precise tolerances and have a lip that sticks out on them to lock them into the rotor and an inner bore to lock the hub into the adapter. Each adapter is then test fitted on a jig to insure proper alignment. Yea I'm happy.

Dragonfly

No problem. :cheers:

Were you going to go with the shorter stock replacments for the RX7, or the ARPs?

I am going with the ARP's, those were the ones that I wanted in the first place. I decided that if they are just to long for me I will go over to the ZRaceProducts shop chuck them up in the lathe make a quick start nose for them as well as cutting them down to the length I want.

DRTY260Z I will check my reciepts later and list the cost on everything.

Dragonfly

• 2 weeks later...

I should be recieving my wheel studs in a couple of days but while waiting on them to arrive I went ahead and cleaned up and painted my hubs and axles.

P1010002-2.jpg

Here is one of my front hubs after cleaning and prior to masking for paint.

P1010003-2.jpg

The other side of the same hub.

P1010015.jpg

Here are the hubs, axles and flanges after painting.

I am also waiting on my new bearings to arrive. After everything gets here I will be assembling everything and taking more pictures.

Dragonfy

may i ask what you cleaned those up with? sandblast with aluminum oxide pellets or something?

Very good guess... I did use a sandblaster with an agressive sand in it, but to protect the machined bearing perches on the inside I left them coated with grease which of course created something like gritty mud when I was done. So the next step was to wipe out as much of the grease and sand as I could with some old rags then I put the hubs in my parts washer and scrubbed them with both a nylon brush and a metal brush. The next step was to wipe them down with clean rags and blow them dry with dry air from my compressor, after that I wire wheeled them to insure there was no flash rust starting to form then I masked and painted.

Dragonfly

• 1 month later...
What year Z will theses be going on and do you have any pics of the rear brake caliper bracket (85-88 maxima caliper bracket?)?

The car is a 72' and here is a link to a picture and some info on the adapters. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&refid=store&viewitem=&item=160071443932

Dragonfly

At this time I still have not finished the brakes on my car... I had been working on other parts of the car and just the other day started to put everythng together only to find that the crossdrilled front rotors (bought used) had some cracks starting to form around some of the holes. I am at this time waiting on my new front rotors to come in so I can finish up that part of my project.

I have been lagging a bit lately but I will get some pics and some more information for those who have asked.

Dragonfly

Very good guess... I did use a sandblaster with an agressive sand in it, but to protect the machined bearing perches on the inside I left them coated with grease which of course created something like gritty mud when I was done. So the next step was to wipe out as much of the grease and sand as I could with some old rags then I put the hubs in my parts washer and scrubbed them with both a nylon brush and a metal brush. The next step was to wipe them down with clean rags and blow them dry with dry air from my compressor, after that I wire wheeled them to insure there was no flash rust starting to form then I masked and painted.

Dragonfly

what did you paint them with too? they look just a smidgen less shiney than the unpainted ones, so it's either a clear, or a metallic rust-bullet type of paint.