HybridZ

what size intercooler tubing

MaTTSuN

i cut the end tanks off my 626 intercooler and going to put new endtanks on.

just wondering what size tubing i should put on the tanks. i want to put 2inch on cause i think thats what the stock j pipe is

i might end up using the stock end tank tubes on the new one if my school doesnt have any 2 inch

its a stock set-up otherwise just want to turn the boost up a bit. so not redy for a big monster yet

So I am curious why would you even bother using a Mazda 626 Intercooler? I run an oil cooler on my car that is bigger than that Mazda IC!

Do yourself a favor and size your intercooler appropriately to the L6...do it once, do it properly. There are way too many nice and inexpensive eBay IC to pass on them.

And to answer your question 2" or 2.25" will easily support 400hp.

Yasin

well finished my intercooler today at school ended up using 2 3/4 tube the core is a good size 13 inch by 3 inch by like 8 or 10 you have a oil cooler that big yashin ?? this is free and im broke right now ...well here is a pic i just took let me have it guys haha

intercooler_thumb.jpg

Looks great! That intercooler will be restrictive though. The 2.5 x 13 (by someone elses measurements) charge face area is good for about 300cfm. With the stock turbo, you should be using one with at least 500cfm. At 7psi boost the engine is already flowing close to 400cfm.

The restriction means that your turbo will have to work harder and less effeciently, creating excess destructive heat. Since you have no money, maybe you can experiment by welding a small bypass tube for air around the core at the opposite end of the endtanks with respect to the inlet and outlet. The intercooler will become less efficient at cooling, but will reduce the restriction of the intake flow, especially at high flow.

kool thanks for the post.

how do you do the formula for figuring out CFM on an intercooler unit?

i cant weld aluminum anymore no more TIG classes

i might get Gas for my MIG for x-mas so maybe then i can make more stuff

after santa visits.

If i could only get a AFM that would work then i can think about installing a intercooler and making more power

As a matter of fact my Oil Cooler is not much smaller.

And yes you are TRULY wasting your time with that Intercooler. It was designed for a 4cylinder motor with only modest hp levels.

Big brother tip No. 1: Save your $$ and buy a decent intercooler, you need something that has a core with at least 450cu.in core.

Yasin (not Yashin)

I used Corky Bell's calculations from his book Maximum Boost. Your charge face is 2.5 x 13 or 32.5 square inches. For many intercoolers, about 45% of the charge face is flow area from one tank to the other, 14.5 square inches for your intercooler. I then looked up Bell's flow rate vs. internal flow area chart which show that intercoolers of your charge face will flow 200 to 300 cfm, depending on the density of the tubulators. In Bell's example, 500 cfm requires about 25 square inches of flow area or 25/.45 = 56 square inches of charge face.

Nice job with the TIG. The welding experience is quite valuable. People here have spent many $$$ to have their nice parts turned into junk.

If I was in your position I would probably sell your intercooler and buy a larger one. Then you can use your Xmas gas for welding pipes.

By the way, you are not in danger of your intercooler becoming an interheater unless you mount it in a place that allows it the heat up, like behind the radiator. I think others are just throwing out phrase to encourage you to use the search function to find your answers. You will be better off in the long run for doing so.

i have a mid year supra turbo intercooler and that thing is so small half the size of mine. maybe not half but it is smaller and it has small tubes. and the design is weak.

well if that intercooler is hooked up to a 3 liter motor why cant this one work on a 2.8 ? i dont think toyota enginers would put something on that would not work at all

just a thought

and another thought maybe convert it to a liquid to air those units are the same size... might be a better set up or not haha. i can just imagine you guy cringing when you read this

better than stock is what im looking for and maybe 12 psi does anyone know what psi the stock supra runs? cause those intercoolers are ugly haha

Matt

I'm trying to be conservative in my advice. I thought about mentioning the last gen RX7 turbo, which also has a tiny 2.5 x 12.5 charge face for it's intercooler, but decided it was safer at the time to not bring that up. Note that the stock Supra turbo, at 6.5 psi is flowing about 40% more air than it's NA counterpart. At 12 psi, you are flowing about 80% more air than unasperated.

If you install it, maybe you can install 2 pressure guages; one before and one after the intercooler so you can measure the actual pressure loss. That way you can make sure you don't overspin the turbo to achieve your target boost level at the manifold.

hmmm very interesting

the rx7 is 12x 2.5

hmm thats not very good

those things must run allot of air because they are really bad on gas haha

i dont get the N/A refrence tho. it has nothing to do with a turbos air flow threw a intercooler

so with the boost gauges:

Keep the one i got in the manifold and hook another one up befor the intercooler somewhere

time to look for a cheap one

but that stuff doesnt go on till i get my afm in check

i have a mid year supra turbo intercooler and that thing is so small half the size of mine. maybe not half but it is smaller and it has small tubes. and the design is weak.

well if that intercooler is hooked up to a 3 liter motor why cant this one work on a 2.8 ? i dont think toyota enginers would put something on that would not work at all

just a thought

and another thought maybe convert it to a liquid to air those units are the same size... might be a better set up or not haha. i can just imagine you guy cringing when you read this

better than stock is what im looking for and maybe 12 psi does anyone know what psi the stock supra runs? cause those intercoolers are ugly haha

Matt

When you say mid-year supra, I assume your talking about the 87-92 Mk3? If you have that intercooler, DON'T use it-its garbage to say the least. Why do you think they upgrade them so quickly, and sell them so cheaply. IIRC it has about a 3.5-4psi pressure loss at stock boost. Meaning that if your making 6.7psi(stock boost) then the turbo is actually producing closer to 10-11psi, and the cooling effect isn't that great either.

Hi Matt,

To calculate airflow of a turbo, you first calculate it's flow without the turbo, along with variables based on engine rpm and engine flow efficiency. I was just trying to say that Toyota designed it's intercooler on the minimum side of sizing. I see that you are aware that there are trade offs in terms of money, time, and safety. I'm looking forward to your results, especially in terms of flow loss. Make sure you are honest with yourself in terms of power goals. I see people here saying they just want to run 7 psi. The next thing you know, it's 10 psi, 12, psi, 15, psi. If you install a part that only meets your immediate goals, you will find that you spent more time and money than you ever thought you would.

well it will prob take another $100 to install the intercooler buying a couple u bends and silicone conectors and what not

maybe more

the intercooler i made was just a school project and if it wont work out then thats no big loss

my goal for PSI is 10-12 i think that would be max for the stock system or the max id wanna run since its going to be my daily driver.

i just want a smooth power band thats resposive and reliable. Im going to drift this car and i need to catch up on all the people around here since i havent driven a "real" car of my own for a couple years i got 3 rear ends an extra trannie 2 extra N/A engines incase i blow my motor and a extra turbo P90 Head and a couple sets of tires and rims. ready to tune this thing for drifting but i need to make power first haha i might just end up going to a water injection since i have lots a spare parts just need a nossle for the spray

rainy vancouver will make my practic easier on the tire budget hehe

Matt