HybridZ

T-5 transmission sources

Guest Reisman240Z

I wish I had a T5. The standard N/A 5 speeds keep going out on me. The one I have now is a conglomeration of three trannies that had problems. I took the best parts of all three and it was great for about a month. I think the countershaft bearing is going out again. I'm going to either need another tranny or a rebuild kit this time. Building a tranny with 25+ year old parts from other trannies just wasn't a good idea.

A WC won't fit - the input shaft is different.

You mean a 240mm Ford CLutch Disc doesn't work getting squeezed between a 240mm Nissan Clutch and Cover? Or putting a Ford Spline into a Datsun Center Section is impossible?

This is HybridZ, let's not get World-Clasist! (bad pun)

What is the problem with the input shaft---is it too long? As I know the Tremec TKO had a different bushing size, and Ford Spline, but hey, that was a quick bit of work with the lathe, and requesting the clutch people to give it up for a Datsun Disc with a Ford Spline in the center. Now welding the ears on the T5 Bellhousing to mate with the TKO Mounting Ears was probably a bit over the top for most people... but if the input shaft was say 1" too long, a 1" spacer between the bellhousing and Tranny would take that into account to make it work (and is easier than welding damn ears on a bellhousing to boot!), soooo...

As long as the input shaft splines are in the same general area as the disc (bellhousing depth) it's fairly easy to make the little things work. Anything out back is standard swap kind of fabrication.

So I'm curious, what exactly makes the WC T5 incompatible?

Personally I think the G-Force Retrofit is the way to go, but what is the deal on the WCT5?