HybridZ

quick question about sensors

FJ 280z

hey guys, im about to drop my intercooler piping at the welding shop, just wondering where the best place to put an IAT sensor is. i got the 3/4" aluminum bung for the GM IAT sensor, im wondering is it best to put it on the hot pipe before the intercooler, or the cold pipe after the intercooler, and if i put it on the cold pipe (which is short) would it affect airflow to the throttle body(as in causing turbulence before the throttle blade), or be affected any bit by the Blow off valve which isn't that far away? i don't have a MAF sensor, i have a air filter mounted right on the turbo so there isn't any room to put the IAT sensor between the air filter and turbo......so pretty much where is the best place to put it?

• Administrators

Hi Pete,

I did that thing I told you I don't do.... I mounted one in the plenum :wink: I put it right behind the TB (in the bottom), with no insulator.

I decided to try this for the following reasons...

1) The car has ceramic coated headers and intake manifold. I'm hoping this reduces the peak heat soak temperatures it see's during extended light loads.

2) I'm also thinking locating it at the inlet would do a couple things, due to getting 6 cylinders worth of air at all times (instead of 2 or 3 at times). This should also help lower the peak heat soak temperature a bit and it *should* cool it down to 'reality' much faster.

3) if I'm wrong, a simple 'plug and relocate' is all it will take to 'fix' it.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Are you are using an open air type sensor? The sensor is already thermally isolated from the threaded collar. Not sure if any more isolation would help. I'm also not sure why people having problems with heat soak, but we've been there before. Every install I've done, I put it in the intake manifold, and none of them show any signs of heat soak. Even when using the CLT sensor as an IAT (no thermal isolation).

I installed mine in the spacer between my 60mm T/B and the manifold. If this plate was made of Phenolic or lexan like pallnet was originally doing, there would be no heat-soak. I get some, but having the dual gaskets isolating it form the big manifold proper seems to help somewhat. I lined the sensor up inline behind the throttle shaft, so it's not getting hit with air directly, but turbulent air off the shaft at WOT.

My cold-start hole is where my idle bypass runs back into...

I had mine installed in the stock rubber TB boot where the hose nipple went for the cold-start valve. I have a different provision for cold idle.

The IAT was pirated from a 1989 grand prix w/ 3.1 v-6. (it pushes in)

Since then I've done a turbo swap, so I took the same boot, made a short pipe to connect it to the air filter, and bolted the whole shebang to the intake side of the turbo.

Works great. I was sure that's the best place to put it, as it's compensating for intake air temperature, not intaked-then-compressed-then-sent-thru-intercooler temperature. (let me know if it's in the wrong place :) )

trwebb26, it's OK that your sensor is reading 130 deg, because that is most likely the actual intake manifold air temp. With the butterfly closed, and engine not running, there is no air flowing through the intake manifold so the IAT can increase greatly. I don't consider this heat soak. The IAT sensor is reporting the correct IAT to the MS. The MS uses it's IAT compensation algorithm to modify the mixture so that it is correct for all air temperatures. That is why I have a problem with locating anywhere but the intake manifold. If it is not mounted in the intake, it will give a false IAT reading to the MS.

z-ya: But if you put the car in WOT - the IAT number doesn't go down very much. I doubt there is enough convection taking place in the sub-1-second time that it takes for the air to go from the air filter into the head for the temperature to rise from 40 degrees F to 120 degrees F.

By no means am I saying you are wrong. I just want to make sure I fully understand what is going on by asking questions.