HybridZ

Splitfire Spark plugs Don't be fooled by the commercials

nscason

oh just to get back to you guys. i changed out my bosch plugs and they looked how they should. the 5th and 6th cylinder plugs had a little extra black build up. but not much. i put the ngks on and the car seemed to like it a little more. Are there special tools to clean off spark plugs for reuse? i would like to keep the ones that i bought and take them out and clean them off every other servicing. or is that a complete waste of time?

Denso and NGK are probably the best two spark plug makers out there. I work at a part's store, and I always suggest NGK (we dont carry denso) My 98 4Runner came from the factory with a set of denso plugs, I put 140,000 miles on them before the first one fouled out.

Right now on my Z I have the NGK wires and Denso plugs. I may be switching over to a new NGK set once i finish building my engine.

Bosch tend to suck on imports, especially volvo's (according to a co-worker who's a volvo tech) And in a discussion with my manager about spark plugs a few days ago, he mentioned that Ford's "Motorcraft" plugs are now being made by NGK.

If you go buy E3, split fire, or Bosch +2 or +4 plugs... you just threw away your money...

A word about splitfire plugs. As Tony D mentioned. They do exactly what they are designed to do. The drawback is shorter engine life. Also, Tony D had his plugs custom made to conform to a specific plug. If you look up the cross references for a Splitfire plug, you will see that there are FAR fewer different plugs than anyone else makes. My experience is limited to motorcycles, but if you look up a Splitfire, one plug may fit five to ten different NGK applications.

As far as NGKs go, the more you pay, the less they foul. On a two stroke, or a very high performance engine, that's important. On a stock to moderate Z, not going to make a whole measurable lot of difference. You really don't want to spend $30 a plug do you?

well. i went to all the different places around town to buy my new plugs. i didnt figure that i would be running all over town. went to autozone-not order-able, went to pepboys( where i figured the would definitely have them) - not order-able. now take in mind they couldnt order ANY ngk plugs for my car. and a few people suggested bosch or autolite plugs, for a z. needless to say i laughed in there face. i then went to kregan and they didnt have them in stock, but they could order them and get them in 2 days. they were the plugs that were $3 something a piece. and those were the only ones that i could get for my car. i didnt feel like driving all the way to napa for them to not have them or be closed. so i purchased the plugs at kregan. i found some relief when i read that i should be able to keep my plugs for more than 100k.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyways those muti-electrodes spark plugs are just a scam cause, whatever happens, electricity allways take the shortest path to ground so only one electrode is really in use a any given time.

The only advantage that I see is the fact that once one of the electrodes gets worn, the current will jump on the next easiest path thus augmenting the life of the plug.

Experts correct me if I'm wrong.

Alex, I'm certainly not an expert on the subject but, you are correct about augmenting the life of the plug. These multi electrode plugs are nothing new, the aircraft industry has been using them in recip engines for a long time....just for the reason you mentioned.

Tom

+ platinum plugs make you spend more money for nothing cause, the platinum or iridium only needs to be on the ground side of the plug.

Cause, it's when the current leaves the part that it brings metal particles with it.

If you take a good look at OEM GM plugs (with wasted spark system) you can see that there's only a touche of platinum on the ground side of the plug. 2 plugs have the platinum on the center electrode and 2 plugs have it on the side electrode. Guess why, it's not needed on the + side and with the price of platinum, they can ave quite a bundle after a few 100 000 cars.