HybridZ

Corbeau bracket fitment issues!

Gavin

Do Corbeau brackets normally need to be modafied, or do new holes need to be drilled, in order to mount them in an S30 (78 280z)? I just got my new Forza with brackets and NONE of holes where my original seat was mounted line up with the new bracket.

Aditionally, the seat is HIGHER than stock!!

This is infuriating because half the reason I baught the thing is because I'm too tall to wear a helmet with the stock seat!

Could they have sent the wrong brackets (they had a sticker saying 'for 77-78 Z' on them) or is this normal? What are peoples experiences with the fitment of these seats/brackets?

I almost want to cut down the factory mounting location and bolt them to the floor.

I've looked at a LOT of posts by people about Corbeau brackets but no specific mention on drilling new holes... Not to mention that all the fitment complaints are from short people! Oh well, I'll take pictures tomorrow. I'll probably just end up modifying my floor.

Guest 280ZForce

in general, aftermarket bucket seats will sit higher in our cars, unless you make the stock brackets work w/ the new seats or you fab up your own to fit your needs.

Guest 280ZForce

i dont have your same seats, but w/ mine I used the oem brackets and bolted them up to that. but because the seats were wider based on mounting, I then had to have some tabs welded to the oem mounts and drill out a hole so that I could still bolt them to the stock location on the floor.

How about this:

Are there any safety, regulation, or any other issues that anybody can think of that would make bolting them straight to the floor pan a bad idea? I would do it very securely, of course.

As long as your floor pans are in good condition with no rust I am not aware of any problems. I would suggest that you back up the bolts with a large washer or metal plate to help disperse the load in the case of an accident or just slamming the seats back and forth. I am running Momo seats and I had to drill new mounting holes.

Dragonfly

Gavin - I had issues with the Corbeau seat brakcets lining up VERY poorly on my car (2 out of the 4 holes would line up). Their brackets are actually not made by them and made (sub-contracted) to another shop in California, that then stamp Corbeau's name on the brackets once they are complete fabricating them.

I was extremely disappointed with the fitment, especially after the price I paid, and then the considerable time I had to take to make them fit. I actually called them and wailed on them for quite a while and the only thing they offered me was an apology and "that they would look into it" and if I wanted I could send the old brackets back and they would re-send me a new pair, which was stupid as I already had modified them to fit my car and I had the seats alreadt bolted in.

They then offered me either 10% or 15% on my next offer - which was also stupid, as I did not need any more seats or rails or seat products...!

I was disappointed, even though I do love their seats.

Yasin

Gavin - I had issues with the Corbeau seat brakcets lining up VERY poorly on my car (2 out of the 4 holes would line up). Their brackets are actually not made by them and made (sub-contracted) to another shop in California, that then stamp Corbeau's name on the brackets once they are complete fabricating them.

I was extremely disappointed with the fitment, especially after the price I paid, and then the considerable time I had to take to make them fit. I actually called them and wailed on them for quite a while and the only thing they offered me was an apology and "that they would look into it" and if I wanted I could send the old brackets back and they would re-send me a new pair, which was stupid as I already had modified them to fit my car and I had the seats alreadt bolted in.

They then offered me either 10% or 15% on my next offer - which was also stupid, as I did not need any more seats or rails or seat products...!

I was disappointed, even though I do love their seats.

Yasin

Sounds like it's time to make your own bracket. There are a couple of problems with aftermarket seats in a Z in my experience.

The seat mounts are too tall. Pretty much any seat which has a solid bottom is going to leave you sitting too high in a Z car with the stock mounts. This was surprising to me when I tried to install an Ultra-Shield seat. I figured since the padding at the bottom was so thin it wouldn't set me up so high, but the difference is that the solid bottom doesn't let you sag down at all. I had Recaros that had straps on the bottoms of the seats and never had a problem with height, but when I put the Ultra-Shield in it required a rework of the mounts.

The front seat mount is much taller than the rear. The mounts are too high in general, but the thigh bolster is too high in relation to the butt height, basically leaning the seat back too far if it is non-reclinable, or making it really uncomfortable to sit anything like erect if the seat is reclinable.

Here's how I fixed the Recaros to lower the thigh section. I had to cut the original bracket and weld it back together at an angle, and then run the rear mount as far up as I could get it:

seat2.jpg

seat3.jpg

When I went to the Ultra-Shield, I had to cut the stock mounting bracket off completely and weld in a new seat frame. This happened to tie in nicely to my subframe connectors. The new mount is 1x1 square tubing, and I worked it so that the Recaro sliders connect onto it. The height of the mount where the sliders connect is ~1.5" and the sliders themselves probably add another inch, so figure the bottom of the seat is probably 2.5" off the floor. It feels a bit lower in total height than the old Recaros. Pretty close, but a little bit lower:

DSCN0901.jpg

• 1 year later...