HybridZ

Aerodynamic Testing Candidates

bjhines

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOW ABOUT IT GUYS... CAN WE DO IT?!?!? I'll be sending funds early next month. If this expands into a wider spectrum of testing, I'll double my donation.

"I plan to have my car into a tunnel (Langley tunnel down in the Tidewater) prior to attempting my 200+ mph run. If I am incorrect about my designs, I would much rather discover it in the tunnel than while I am in the car!"

Someone thinks alike! LOL

I think that was a post somewhere else during "the dark times" when someone poo-poohed this idea. The thought of spending $3500 to make a run to 260mph in a tunnel to reveal any nasty aerodynamic gremlins that may creep up is cheap insurance! (compared to the cost of full prep, and then a crash)

On a stock bodied car like I will have to drive, doing this before sinking all that money into the vehicle makes a lot of sense as well.

Even to 170mph, the results will be interesting on an S30 (even though we know a 1976 2+2 will go at least 173.325mph with a G-Nose, Full Belly Pan, and blocked off Radiator Inlet opening...)

Testing at NASA Langley will cost considerably more than $3500. Which tunnel were you planning on using? The 30x60 was run by Old Dominion University under contract for a while, for NASCAR-related testing. I'm not sure exactly how that arrangement fared, but from what I hear ODU is no longer involved.

Anyway, a large enough tunnel with a ground plate and capacity to handle full-scale cars is going to be pricey. The Mooresville place, which is the subject of the current planning, seems to be uniquely suited to moderately-priced automotive testing.

• 3 weeks later...

After protracted delay (sorry) I posted a Photoshopped version of the front-end treatment of my Z, which is intended to illustrate a stubby or degenerate G-nose. The poor quality of my Photoshop skills make the nose look like a fish-mouth, but the idea is that there is a small intake for the radiator. The objective - and the reason for looking at something like this instead of a G-nose includes the following:

* benefits of a short front overhang, vs. the G-nose

* a short, bulbous nose should be much less aerodynamically sensitive to changes in the car's rake angle

* speculation that such a nose would work better with off-the-shelf air dams

front_view_photoshopped.jpg

This is largely incompatible with retaining a front bumper, and as drawn will NOT fit an L-6 (engine would be too tall). The Photoshopped picture differs from the real thing only in the size of the radiator intake - which, on my car, is too large and aesthetically (not to mentioned aerodynamically) not especially pleasing. There are also some similarities to front-end treatment of Tony D's car, which in my opinion is a very clever solution - but the present version attempts to be more streetable and should in principle work with a stock hood and fenders.

• 6 months later...

Has anything ever happened with all of this talk of testing? I am starting to save up to paint my car and I would like to know if there are some little things that I can do inthe process to help with stability at freeway speeds. I will be using the air dam above.