HybridZ

finally found my engine

just to help with peoples responses... what kind of driving are you gonna be doing mostly?

Get the right combo of heads, pistons, intake, carb, cam and you should do fine. lol, i'm sure other people will be able to break down a perfect setup so you can price it out. Do you know anything about the engine, like if it's been bored out or anything?

if you want to go past 400hp, stroke it out to a 383.

I think u'd be happy just cleaning it up and get some fresh pistons, some nice aluminum heads, a matching cam, and a nice intake setup. U'd prolly get a nice 120+ hp right there. other than that it can get alittle pricey depending on the deals you find. I don't know ur budget, but start with heads, cam and intake (if ur bottom end is in good condition)

SBC's are great....and I love the old school Carb setup.... but to tell you the truth probably your best bet would be to go with what 240zV8 said, and get rid of yoru current setup and purchase yourself an LS1 setup to run... This is the setup that I plan to run, but only cause of just a little tuning out of the stock motor and you can get a decent bit more HP then it is already rated at... But that is just what I would do...

SBC's are great....and I love the old school Carb setup.... but to tell you the truth probably your best bet would be to go with what 240zV8 said, and get rid of yoru current setup and purchase yourself an LS1 setup to run... This is the setup that I plan to run, but only cause of just a little tuning out of the stock motor and you can get a decent bit more HP then it is already rated at... But that is just what I would do...

but...u can't do it for $2000, unless you get a donor car and part it out and make ur money back.

To make that kind of power at the wheels, you will need to rebuild the bottom end so that it can handle revving a little higher, put a pretty wicked heads/cam package and then put a different intake manifold on it. Either an LT1 intake or the stealth ram intake. Injectors, throttle body, and other things will have to be upgraded too along with a custom chip. You are looking at well over $3,000 more to make this kind of power, and this is assuming you are assembling the engine yourself.

If you have never driven a car that runs 13s or faster, then just install the engine and have fun with it. Mod it slowly as you can afford to do so. My stock LS1 makes just over 300 at the wheels and that is enough to make my car go high 11s in the 1/4 with a T56. I wouldn't worry about making 450 plus hp unless you wanna go run 10s your first time out. But that gets expensive.

well this is the cheapest way to hit "around" 400hp to the wheels that i can think of

stock motor to the wheels, around 200 hp

full exhaust and intake, b/c you have to if your going to put it in a Z 20-40hp+

"Tune" the stock ECM, to take out all the smog stuff etc. 20-30 hp+

Tune for 114 octane 10-25hp+ or water and or meth injection

NOS for the rest, and i think the motor should be able to take a 100HP shot no prob. 80 hp or so

so at best 320 hp-365hp

and this in not hard stuff to do and should not cost and arm and a leg.

Also just so everyone knows these are estimated numbers so do not hold me to them

I don't know If I would bother with the high octane. That takes the fun out of it being a street car. But Nitrous is always a cheap solution to going fast. For less than 600 bucks you can have a complete nitrous system with a bottle heater on a window switch and a purge. I probably wouldn't run more than a 125 shot on an old TPI motor. THey have cast pistons are over 15 years old now.

GOTHALOSISM,

Let me be as gentle as I can, but WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING??????

A Crown Vic? With a 9c1 package?

Go back and edit your post to say '94-'96 Caprice and make this post of mine completely stupid, eh?

Best -- Gary