HybridZ

Random Nipples Showing

ZDreamin72

ALright guys so there are many places in trhe engine bay with which there are nipples and connectors jsut alying around, i have pictures and wouldn't mind finding someone who can help

On Top Of The Carb(Both Carbs):

123106_1429b.jpg

Whats Goin On Here? Is This Okay?:

123106_1429c.jpg

Back Of AirFilter Housing Between Carbs:

123106_1429a.jpg

Three Nipples; One Large Pointing Down, Two Small; One On bottom Pointing Forward; One On Top Pointing Up; All Btweend Carbs On AirFilter Housing:

123106_1429.jpg

One Small Nipple; Pointing Forward; Front Of Block; Midway Down:

123106_1428a.jpg

Lower Passenger Side Firewall; Goes Straight Through:

123106_1428.jpg

Passenger Side, Front Part Of Wire Harness; Small Loose Wire Connector:

123106_1427.jpg

Drivers Side Frame Rail; Below AirFilter Housing; Small Metal Nipple:

123106_1423.jpg

123106_1429b.jpg

These are float bowl vents. Do not plug them. I had a length of hose on mine jjust to keep dirt and debris from going into the float bowls, but I just had my hoses hanging loose.

123106_1429c.jpg

This is a little cheesy, but it isn't going to hurt anything. Someone took off all of the smog stuff and just connected the two nipples together. You could leave it or plug the holes.

123106_1429.jpg

The big nipple on the back of the air cleaner housing is related to the PCV system. You can hook the block breather up to the air cleaner again with the big hose.

I can't recall what the smaller ones do, I think one connects to that hard line on the driver's side frame rail which is a gas tank vent line if I remember properly.

123106_1428.jpg

This is either for the heater hoses or an aftermarket AC system that was removed. I'm just feeling too lazy to run outside and verify on my car, but it should be pretty evident which it is.

123106_1427.jpg

No clue.

123106_1423.jpg

As said before this is a gas tank vent line, needs to be routed to air cleaner.

The upright nipples on the both float bowls should have a hose going to the smaller nipples on the back side of the air cleaner assembly. You will notice that they are almost identically spaced on both sides. The large nipple facing downwards on the air cleaner assembly goes to the smog pump. I assume you have removed the pump. You can simply cap that one. The jumper hose on the balance tube is not bog deal, they are probably the ones feeding the anti-backfire valve, which was then routed to the other side of the smog pump. Again, you can get a couple of plugs for those.

Brian

The upright nipples on the both float bowls should have a hose going to the smaller nipples on the back side of the air cleaner assembly. ...snip....

Brian

Are you sure about this? Why would you run a vacuum line to the float bowl vents?

These are float bowl vents. Do not plug them. I had a length of hose on mine jjust to keep dirt and debris from going into the float bowls' date=' but I just had my hoses hanging loose.[/quote']

I've got mine connected to the air cleaner as AKWIKZ mentions. This is per the FSM and also Ztherapy.com.

This is either for the heater hoses or an aftermarket AC system that was removed. I'm just feeling too lazy to run outside and verify on my car, but it should be pretty evident which it is.

Thats exactly what it is. I just tore out a POS Frigiking aftermarket AC system and it had lines through similar holes. Just plug up the holes. Might also check under the glovebox to make sure the AC has been removed. Without lines it isnt doing anything but adding weight.

As said before this is a gas tank vent line, needs to be routed to air cleaner.

Aha... that solves a problem for me. The downward facing small nipple on the air cleaner must be connected to this. I smelled the open line on the passenger side of my car and it smells like fresh gas fumes. Must be an EVAP line. Thanks Jon!

- Greg -

yea thanx guys, i ask on zcar.com and that hose from the tank on the firewall/the downward facing nipple on the airfilter/and the crankcase nipple. should all be routed through a fume switcher that goes from the carbs to the crankcase depending on temperature; i doubt just hookin them all three to each other would be okay...just a thought, any suggestions?

whats fine, getting a tee and just hookin all three up? i dont knwo about thatl but it might jsut work; next a time machine; sorry inside joke, isnt there a fume vent for a reason, blocking it off couldnt cause a problem? in some way, i dont knwo how it could but im sure there would be a reason for the vent? no?

Are you sure about this? Why would you run a vacuum line to the float bowl vents?

Not vacuum, just clean air. Don't need to suck dirt into the carbs. With K&N filters you could have tapped your own fitting into the air cleaner pan.

The tank vent is an emissions thing. It is suppose to vent into the intake when the engine is running and to the crankcase when the engine is off. At least that was the way my 70 was plumbed. Newer cars replace the crankcase vent with a charcoal canister. You don't want to completely block off the vent line to the tank. But you could cut it off back by the differential if you want to save that extra half pound of tubing.

Aha! That explains the 5/16" barb on my crankcase vent tube! So are the three lines just teed together or should there be a valve?

- Greg -

Yeah, there should be a vacuum operated valve that T's the tank line to one place or the other. It was mounted to the fender right where the current vent line ends. I could get you pics if you are really interested.