HybridZ

would early SU's work on an L28

NA_Z32

i was wondering if early 240z SU's would work bolted onto an L28. would there be any problems with that. i wasnt sure if they would supply enough fuel for the bigger displacement. i have tried and i can get it to run with the choke on, but doesnt run as well with it off.

The stock, round top, SU will feed a otherwise stock L-28 just fine up to about 6k. After that and they simply cannot supply enough fuel. Also you should contact Z Therapy and get some SM needles. They will provide the richer fuel curve needed with a 2.8L.

The stock, round top, SU will feed a otherwise stock L-28 just fine up to about 6k. After that and they simply cannot supply enough fuel. Also you should contact Z Therapy and get some SM needles. They will provide the richer fuel curve needed with a 2.8L.

thats what ive done and it runs really good only smoked b/c of bad valve stem seals. now replaced them and it runs extremely well

I had very little trouble with SUs on my 75 280 until I rebuilt the motor and put a big cam in it (colt cams 510 lift 280*dur. 'road race grind' IIRC..) but they still work.. just not the best. I'm going to bore them out, and get better needles if I keep the L28 in the Z. In my case, it pulls good too 5000, but they run out of steam around 5500, althought he cam is suposed to make power to 6500. The 'choke' on SU's is basicaly a huge dump of fuel, so ussualy if the car wont run well with the choke off, you need to richen it up a bit. I'd say turn them out about 1/2 to 3/4 turns and see if it runs better.

For what it's worth I don't think SU's run out of fuel on larger engines. I think they run out of air. That's one of the nice things about SU's is that the more air you put through them the more fuel they put out (true of all carbs, but to a greater degree with SU's since they don't rely on accelerator pumps and other fuel circuits). I think some here have shown the SM needles to be very rich on 2.8 and 3.1 engines. I bet a search would bring up more info on that...

on the right side of the engine near the top just a litle toward the back thee should be a flat area with L24/L26/L28 stamped on it and then a block # near that.

Yeah... right underneath the plug for cylinder 6. Pretty clearly engraved L28! Guess my 260Z FSM has a couple more useless chapters now!

- Greg -