HybridZ

200hp l26?

droogie

aight guys, ive been searching around this forum for a while now and i was wondering how feasible it would be to accomplish 200 horsepower at the crank with the l26 engine, e88 head, early s.u.'s, and flat top pistons. i know the easier way to accomplish this would be to acquire an l28 with the p90 head and do the corresponding mods but all i want is a quick 260z without having to swap engines. im not at any point ready to start this project right away but i would greatly appreciate the input for future reference.

thanks guys

droogie

I should be around 175 hp with my L26 before long...

L26 bottom end

Maxima N47 head

L24 flattop pistons

10.25:1 CR

roundtop SUs(eek! restrictive!)

mystery header, 2.5" exhaust

My L26 already had the 240Z flattop pistons in it so all I am doing is swapping the MN47 to hike the compression ratio.

I am only doing this because I got that head for a steal($39!) and I already have everything else. I am still going to build a hot turbo motor down the road but this will have to do for now because it is what I have.

208 crank hp (that'd be real, east coast, SAE numbers) with an L24 ITS engine: stock SU's (basically), stock cam (basically), stock ITS prepped E31 head, stock +1mm blueprinted bottom end (basically), custom headers and carb needles. All it takes is a $8000 check to Sunbelt. No problemo.

Or you can do the bolt-on horsepower thing and get way more then 200hp:

Exhaust - 10 hp

Headers - 10 hp

N36 intake - 10 hp

K&N Filters - 10 hp

Cam - 10 hp

Electronic Ignition - 10 hp

10mm Plug Wires - 10 hp

Electric fans - 10 hp

Aluminum Flyweel - 10 hp

Centerforce Cltuch - 10 hp

That's a 250 hp L6 engine right there...

"Exhaust - 10 hp

Headers - 10 hp

N36 intake - 10 hp

K&N Filters - 10 hp

Cam - 10 hp

10mm Plug Wires - 10 hp

Electric fans - 10 hp

Aluminum Flyweel - 10 hp

That's a 250 hp L6 engine right there..."

260hp with a carbon fiber shift knob.....

"Exhaust - 10 hp

Headers - 10 hp

N36 intake - 10 hp

K&N Filters - 10 hp

Cam - 10 hp

10mm Plug Wires - 10 hp

Electric fans - 10 hp

Aluminum Flyweel - 10 hp

That's a 250 hp L6 engine right there..."

260hp with a carbon fiber shift knob.....

265 if ur muffler berrings are in check to....

I think I am at at least 200 flywheel with my setup, though it wasn't cheap.

E31 head

tripple webbers setup for 6500 RPM peak HP

stage 3 cam (Schneider .460" 270/280)

port matched Canon intake

flat top forged pistons

.030" overbore

P&B crank

12 lb flywheel

MSA 6-1 header

2.5" mandrel bend exhaust with Dynomax bullet and Magnaflow round race can straight through

Crane Fireball Hi-6 digital ignition on an E12-80 module

I get 160-165 on 91 octane at the wheels (got to be around 200 flywheel). I'm not going to pull it out to test flywheel HP. I love this engine setup, just enough torque down low and easily revs to 7000. I could probably get more with headwork but it runs so good that I don't want to mess with it anymore and I wouldn't notice the few extra ponies on the street. When this engine dies (less than 5000 miles on it) I'm going RB25 anyway unless I get the horsepower bug up my ass.

205 RWHP on an L20A, so Crank HP on an L26 should be, as stated above "No Problemo"

And that's on the same dyno John C used dynoing his Rusty Old Datsun (Thanks for the recomendation, JC, they are a great bunch of guys!)

So that's "West Coast" horsepower... how that equates to SAE East Coast Horsepower, I don't know...

But the ITS Stock engine is a good point!

And everybody knows a cam is good for at least 30 HP "to the rear wheels" John!

;^P

Several Nos stickers and a Viynl scratch mark helps on power too.

yeah i was thinking about that...slap some nos stickers and a rediculous wing on the rear end and i should fly right?! haha

its just food for thought now. i would love to get a quick z going but right now im still trying to bring her back from the grave.

i appreciate all the responses and ill leave you guys with a few pics...

droogie

PICT00071.jpg

PICT00091.jpg

(im cheap...17 bucks on a chain and 4*4 beats 200 for a cherry picker)

block.jpg

Oh, I just saw that. You missed the DZA meeting last week. I'm existing at the Candlewood Suites at Baseline and Priest, lo these last two weeks...

Mack voices a practical plan!

Nothing to do all day today... and now the sun is setting >:^(

You are in phoenix?? Run yourself down to Ecology or U pull it on broadway and get an L28 engine for $50 short block. then pull a maxima N47 head for $39, and start bolting ♥♥♥♥ together.

not a bad idea at all. ive put so much time and money into this engine that i have to hear her purr. if all goes wrong then ill take the initiative and pick me up an l28. now an n47 head...i could bolt that onto my l26 correct? or i could always save it for an l28...

Oh, I just saw that. You missed the DZA meeting last week. I'm existing at the Candlewood Suites at Baseline and Priest, lo these last two weeks...

Mack voices a practical plan!

Nothing to do all day today... and now the sun is setting >:^(

ive heard about the DZA. if i dont work i might end up going to the car show on saturday. it would be cool to meet you guys and check out your z's.

droogie

PICT0006.jpg

engine_hoist.jpg

The MN47 will bolt onto the L26 block...I'm not sure about a L24 block though as the L24 block does not have valve reliefs cut into the block. The L24E I pulled my MN47 from had small reliefs cut into the block. My L26 block has plenty of room for the smaller MN47 valves...