HybridZ

Hoosier 275/35-15 A6/R6

Hoosier announced that they will be making the above tire size in autocross and road race compounds around March of this year. The tire should be about 22.5" tall and 10" wide.

IMHO, this appears to be the perfect tire for a racing 240Z. Its 2.7" shorter then the next avaialble 275 width tire (275/45-16) and 2.2" shorter then a 285/35-18. Also, being a 15 you should be able to get wheels that weigh around 15 lbs in a 10" width and that should save (along with the smaller tire) about 6 lbs of unsprung weight per corner.

Hoosier announced that they will be making the above tire size in autocross and road race compounds around March of this year. The tire should be about 22.5" tall and 10" wide.

IMHO, this appears to be the perfect tire for a racing 240Z.

Faster than full slicks? Since I'm classed there anyway do you see an advantage other than maybe in the cold? I'm currently running 9.5x22.5x15 R35 Hooiser slicks and am debating what to get next year.

Thanks

Cameron

Cameron, From what I've read on other sites the tread width on this new tire is going to be 11.2". That might make it faster than a 9.5" wide slick. I seem to remember Cary saying that the new Goodyear FA tire is supposed to be FAST. It comes in a 23.5 x 9.5 x 15 as well. The R070 compound should be a REALLY sticky tire. I haven't seen this tire in person, but I've messed around with some R160 treaded GY's and they were SOFT, so that R070 must be a qualifying tire or something. http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/GY1.html#FA%20RADIAL

No, they won't be faster the real racing slicks. I should have qualified my statement by noting that if the class rules require DOT-R tires, this size is close to perfect.

Actually, depending on weather conditions and surface they may be faster. Last year a number of MOD competitors found out that the setup and tires that worked for them on concrete weren't good for the new paved surface they were running on. A number of them are going to try and test to see what actually works better since they were beat by stock cars on R-compound tires. The hoosier street rubber seems to grip better at about 10 to 15 degrees lower temp than their slicks.

Until these tires are out it's hard to say what will need to happen to spring rates. The tires will need to be measured for vertical stiffness, air pressure, and camber to understand how this changes the tire's rate. This assumes you want to run a setup that has a similar distributions of roll stiffness.

The only other news I've heard is that hoosier is coming out with radial slicks to try and match goodyear. We found the difference between the hoosier bias ply atlantic tire was 8 tenths slower than the goodyear FA radial tire on a 48 second test course.

Cary