HybridZ

Headlights

MrFancypants

I put a set on my Z, they sure work better than stock. They do not fit the head light rings as well as I expected. I also had to buy a relay system. I do not think the stock Z head light wiring has enough power.

I'm running EIKO bulbs in an APC housing, they arent half bad, much better than sealed beams.

Going to upgrade the wiring and wiring harnes and get ome Silvania Silver Stars... Or the new Silvania Ultra's when I finally have access to them (I work at a parts store) The ultra's are out in pretty much every bulb but I havent seen any of the 9003's or H4s, not sure if they are out yet.

I'm gonna tell ya that ad is downright false advertising!

"Street Legal" My hind end! The lens has NEITHER the DOT-Required aiming device tabs, NOR the E-4 symbol signifying European Compliance.

So "Street Legal" means someplace like Bangladesh, or similar.

I have some Autopal "MSR" Headlights, which look similar to those advertised EXCEPT they actually have E-Code Compliance (beam pattern much like the Hellas). They were gotten from John at http://www.h4lights.com. He deals with Z-Car guys, and sells through the classifieds at ZC.C I believe.

For a cost not much more than the "total cost" of that last sale linked above.

John will give you good information for lighting, and he's also a Hella Distributor. If you want to pay as much for a single housing as you will for a pair of loaded Autopals that are functionally exactly the same, have at it.

For my money, one stone in a Hella makes my cry. A stone in an Autopal makes me laugh, cheap to replace.

Decision is yours. Like John says "Buy the best lighting you can afford!"

They were gotten from John at www.h4lights.com. He deals with Z-Car guys, and sells through the classifieds at ZC.C I believe

Thanks Tony... thats a great reference.

about that, does anyone make some kind of clear "light protection thing" for 7" headlights?

www.griotsgarage.com sells some super thick 3M film for use on headlights.

- Greg -

Yes, that polycarbonate film is WONDERFUL STUFF! They say it will stop a .177 pellet shot at the light. Haven't tried it (shooting them) yet, but really should, just to play "Mythbuster" and sate my curiosity! LOL

I wish it was available when I had the previously mentioned "Prestige" lighting in some of my vehicles. I have had, over time, Z-Beams as well as the Hellas, and both succumbed to road debris eventually. The capsule burned on, but the hole in the houaing was a bit tacky, and drew attention of "the light police"....

After finding "the alternative" I haven't gone back. Right now I am considering a true two-beam H4 Replacement unit that is HID... They only draw 35 watts (like on the early S30 Stock Lights) but light up seemingly like my 80/100's do currently! And with proper H4 Euro Light Dispersion (unlike some of the 'generic' HID kits). These I'm checking out have E-Code Approval, meaning the TUV has checked them for stuff. I am big (since meeting John) on buying stuff with some sort of approval---at least it means someone did some cursory testing at least. I mean, I get obscure on some stuff, but the stuff about lighting can get really out there! LOL All said and done, I much prefer the E-Code light dispersion rules. And lament that California can (will) nail people with E-Code lights in their vehicles...unlike Michigan where you can run the E-Codes (as the state police did for years!)

My first E-Codes were Hellas running 130 Watt Highs, and 100 Watt Lows back in 1979 driving the rural roads of Michigan. Everybody slowed down when I was oncoming because outside of me, the only other people with "The blue-white light you can see miles off" was the Michigan State Police in those Impalas!