HybridZ

what sc will fit

gjc5500

there is a pad cast into the engine block on lower left side where a.c is mounted on l28.if somebody was good at welding and fab they could goto pick&pull and get a supercharger off of a middle 90's ford tbird sc for $100 or so and get busy with the welder.the pad has 4 threaded holes in it.

The bad thing about the AC side (without using a custom intake) places the SC really close to the exhaust.

I'm going to try to mount a M90 from a pontiac GTP where the alternator goes, and I'll probably move the alternator to where the PS pump is on the ZX. I'm thinking of making a custom pulley set to use one or 2 serpentine belts.

Mario

• Administrators
I'm going to try to mount a M90 from a pontiac GTP where the alternator goes

I considered the same thing... makes intercooling straightforward as well.

Here are a few picts of an early Eaton M90 I picked up on ebay for a fair price...

M90bottom.jpg

M90top.jpg

M90back.jpg

Weighs 21lbs on my atomic bathroom scale.

Yea it's heavier then I thought it'd be.

Also, mine is made to mount on a v6 manifold, so it's not like yours that you can buy the intake attachment like the thunderbirds have. Also mine has a monster TB on it (it's removal but I'm going to use it).

Looks like there's going to be more SC'd Zs running around.

Mario

• Administrators
has anyone considered the use of the M112 s/c? or will the M90 flow more than necessary? usually the z guys go for biggest and best...lol

Technically speaking, the M112 should work. A couple things to think about though... for a given amount of flow, all things being equal, the larger SC will spin slower. Due to the air gap between the rotors and housing, a slower spinning SC will 'leak' more. This *could* cost you boost down low in RPM.

Is a M112 big enough for this to be a factor on an L28? I couldn't say.

Oddly enough an M90, driven 2:1, would displace nearly exactly twice the air of an L28 at 100% VE... and at 7000 rpm, spin the SC at the max. recommended RPM of 14K.

Would an M90 push an L28 to 400HP?. When you factor the parasitic losses coupled with terrible adiabatic efficiency... maybe, but I have serious doubts. I sure wish someone would test this scenario for all of us :-)

• Administrators
so the general concensus is that the M90 is the happy medium btwn the M112 and the M62?

I don't know about "general consensus" but my opinion is that the M62 is too small to fool with. If you're building a mild street motor, the M90 should work well. If you're willing to gamble a little in the name of science, the M112 might prove worthy, especially if you're planning on running more boost via intercooling, race fuel, meth injection, etc, etc. Ultimately, this is a huge generalization. It really depends on what you're doing with the car and, because its largely uncharted/untested territory, you might find this to be hogwash.

• Administrators
Is Super Charging the answer to get low end torque and reliable 300hp for my street machine?

Welcome,

If you're talking about positive displacement SC's (like pictured above), then yes it can be the answer.

With this type there is no lag and usable boost can be made at 1000 RPM. Primary drawbacks are lowered fuel economy coupled with big HP numbers being difficult to achieve due to the low adiabatic efficiency (meaning, heating the air substantially for a given amount of boost), and parasitic losses.

• Administrators
The stillen for the 350z uses the M62, I believe.

Interesting. How certain are you?

I had it on my 350z, and there is a vacuum bypass valve on it that keeps it from costing you gas mileage

Most of them seem to be coming with the bypass these days... I've often wondered what it does to response. Seems logical (to me anyway) that it would take time to open/close. What was your experience?

What Ive seen Commonly done is people use the Jeep Cherokee l6 S/C Kit and modify it to work for the Z. Very simple setup EFI only though. Carbs are pretty much worthless for using for Forced Inductuion becuase they get so complicated.

To Put it simply a Well Tuned FI setup will most likely be More Reliable and make more power than any Carb Setup when it comes to forced induction

Hey Ron, is that kit you mentioned the one that used to be sold through the Jim Cook Racing catolog, that bolted to the 4-barrell intake? I always thought that looked pretty cool, but I've got a soft place in my heart (or is that head? I can never be sure anymore)for turbo.

• Administrators
Hey Ron, is that kit you mentioned the one that used to be sold through the Jim Cook Racing catolog, that bolted to the 4-barrell intake?

Thats the one.

I believe "Z-Ya" is using it on his Z?

A local chap has picked up a used one as well... I've gotten involved in a Wolf install on it. Looking forward to the results.

I always thought that looked pretty cool, but I've got a soft place in my heart (or is that head? I can never be sure anymore)for turbo.

Its just different strokes, yes? I can find appreciation in just about any of it.

Ron,

Mine also comes with a vacuum bypass, but also a little electronic valve that controls it. Basically I'm hoping to be able to choose between sensible gas mileage and best performance at a flick of the switch.

I need to post pics of the monster because it has more ports than yours that I have no idea what to do with.

Mario

man o man i've been dreamin of gettin a SC for my z but alas im not that good at that type of fabricating unless i could make an adapter plat out of Fiberglass then maybe....... but any who.

If one you guys gets this goin and decides they might pyut together a package of a SC, adapter plate, belt, and some good instructions i wouldly gladly buy it :)

if anyoen thinks this might b a possibility PM me :)