HybridZ

flip rims for negative offset part#2

whats up guys...i finally got some pics on flipping the rims for negative offsets. i posted a while back but had no pictures and now have pics just thought i might show you guys what i was talking about. i seen a couple guys doing the same thing here but cant find there pics anymore to show you all what we were doing. pictures speaks better than words. so here it is.

flipped inside lip to outside and small outside lip to inside..

mesh_straight_view.JPG

heres a picture of the rims on the car. the ones in the fronts are before i fliped them and the ones in the back are after flipping them. i know it looks kinda funny because the cars not drop yet and tires is inflated.

280z_side_view.JPG

it now sticks out perfect about 2 inches. perfect for zg flares like i had planned. plenty of shock/backspace clearance. i know it will be eating up the bearings but im sure it wont eat it up that bad.

the rims are jdm 3 piece dynalite...super ultra rare for some reason. never seen another set ever. but then again, it just looks like another ssr reverse mesh. i also now have a deep 4 1/2inch lip. im loving it!!!!

i got about 2 inches from rim to strut. got plenty of clearnces. i pretty much just fliped the mesh the other way around. im not sure how safe its going to be but the previouse owner flipped them at one point also.

Thats crazy. :D I'm still tripping out on how both sides of the outer lip are polished?!

A couple thoughts. I assume that you are taking the wheel apart and basically reassembling backwards (using your outer barrel on the inside, and likewise) in which case you just moved your valve stem inboard. This will require welding the valve stem hole, and make another in the new outer. Otherwise, you'll probably knock the valve stem off with the caliper the 1st time you move the car.

Be aware that some 3pc mfg's (ie: BBS for one) use different thickness materials for inner and outer barrels.

If your just flipping the wheel around somehow (scarey), or if you remove the tires to do the swap method, make sure you maintain the same tire rotation direction. Ply seperation is not uncommon after rotational direction changes.

I got a set of 14" watanabes that are for a honda offset....and I got 2.5" spacers/lug adapters...hrmmmm....

I don't think this will work with watanabes. I have 16" 2 piece set and took them apart today to restore (paint and polish) them, thought it would be fun to see what it looks like backwards.

It does not fit. The inner ID is almost exactly the same as the center OD. It might be possible to jam it together, but I am not that interested in seeing what it looks like.

A couple thoughts. I assume that you are taking the wheel apart and basically reassembling backwards (using your outer barrel on the inside, and likewise) in which case you just moved your valve stem inboard. This will require welding the valve stem hole, and make another in the new outer. Otherwise, you'll probably knock the valve stem off with the caliper the 1st time you move the car.

Be aware that some 3pc mfg's (ie: BBS for one) use different thickness materials for inner and outer barrels.

If your just flipping the wheel around somehow (scarey), or if you remove the tires to do the swap method, make sure you maintain the same tire rotation direction. Ply seperation is not uncommon after rotational direction changes.

Yup, You just hit where I was going here... You might wanty to contact the manufacturer and confirm that what you did is SAFE. I'm guessing they are going to tell you that you can't do that. Those wheels will likely come appart on you if you drive on them like that.

Mike

when i bought the rims, they have valve stems built on both sides of the lips. im not sure if you guys are familiar but the rims are based on the epsilons. lips are interchangable with valve stems built on both inner and outter lips.

i didnt even have to remove the tire. just inflated the tires and put the mesh back on from the other side.

• 2 months later...

i have a quick question and dont want to post a new thread but if i was to keep the rims the way it is, and use 1 1/2 or 2 inch spacers. whats the difference? the wheels inner lip is sitting in the same spot fromt hub to center? my wheel bearing is going to wear out is what i was told but whats the difference in putting on some spacers??? it doesnt make any since to me. either way around, inner lip sits in the same area. wont putting some spacers on it do the same thing and put stress on the wheel bearing also?