HybridZ

RE-Using metal head gasket

Forcefed Z

I don't think you can safely re-use an MLS headgasket. There are "crumple zones" (for lack of a better term) that are pressed flat when you torque down the head. They stay compressed even when you remove the head, and the gasket isn't as effective the second time around.

I am with Nismopick on this one. It is not a good idea to reuse them. It is designed to crush and seal once. The mating surfaces must be completely flat, even and clean when using these gaskets...I know from experience of having not paid attention to this. There are those who have re-used them and added some copper spray but not recommended.

I dont mind risking it....its just the 3rd time I have taken off the head in 3 months.....ANd this time I want it not to come off again....But at the same time the last time I ordered a head gasket from nissan it took 6 months, no joke.... But I was olso kind of thinking of using the 1mm one instead....

Yes, you can use it at least twice. Clean the gasket very well with a cleaner that does not leave a residue (acetone, brake cleaner, etc.). The apply 3 coats of copper spray, and install as usual. Make sure the deck is clean of any oil or coolant as well. I've run about sixteen 1/2 hour track sessions on my SC motor with a reused 2mm gasket, and have had zero problems so far. It is an 8.5:1 motor running 8psi of boost.

I will be running as much boost as the turbo will make (GT35R) on a new head.... so I want it to match up proper...the last time it was together I was running about 13 psi, but I had a problem with a pinhole in a repaired head and it was blowing coolant out of the overflow under boost....

i was running 11.8:1 comp ratio, and have re-used my gasket 5 times, no copper no anything other than spraying it clean. it never leaks and works great, they are made to be re-used. once the rubber wears off, then id use the copper spray. dont ask why ive done it 5 times. it takes me 1 hour to pull the head from running, and 1 more hour back to running again

I've run 30psi on my older setup and I've re-used the hks gasket several times. No problems at all. I'm currently back down to 25psi, but haven't had any issues with leaks or anything like that. I also am using the ARP head studs. I clean the gasket and use copper spray, and re-assemble.