HybridZ

anyone know anything about this damper?

2003z

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a reason why you see a damper on the crankshaft of every street driven engine you look at and virtualy all other engines you look at, so yes there would be a problem. Without re-writing the book what would happen is your engine would vibrate itself to pieces, its not worth the couple of bucks you save in the short term.

Dragonfly

Not to shake the tree here, nor split hairs, but the original L20A's did not use a harmonic dampner till 1976. They used a two-groove solid cast iron pulley to that point. Flat-Four VW's use a solid 'equalizer' pulley, not a harmonic dampner, in high performance applications. Stock, they had a stamped steel pulley! The shortness of the VW crank overall keeps torsionals under control, this coupled with bulletproof cross sectional diameters on crank throws and cheeks of the crank keeps it all rigidly tied together.

We have found the short stroke L20 does not have the same pulse problem that the longer stroke, torque producing motors have. It's all a function of the crank's arm, and the torque it can apply during the power stroke.

L28ET's that rev will eat up the dampner much faster than a stock L24 running to 7000 on a regular basis.

I'll admit it, I like the tree shaking and hair splitting, I just HAD to put it out there....Pay no attention to the man behind the curtian!

well, with the length of the crankshaft, I have decided it is probably smarter to have a damper than not. I will probably just buy a nissan 2 row, and keep a watch on ebay for the euro damper, or get the one that started this post in a couple of months when they release it.

I'll admit it, I like the tree shaking and hair splitting, I just HAD to put it out there....Pay no attention to the man behind the curtian!

Not to worry Tony I will just ignore the man behind the curtian :) I will admit that I am rather low on the knowledge totem pole having only built about a dozen engines with most of them being L series (a couple fords, toyotas, and dodges)... I know for a fact that both Tony and BRAAP have waaay more knowledge and have seen and built many more engines than I have but personaly I have never seen a street driven engine (that I was aware of **VW duh**) that did not have some sort of elastomer in the crank pully.

By the way Tony feel free to shake the tree all you want.

Dragonfly

Maybe this is just a stupid idea but is it not possible to modify a v8 damper to fit the l28? Maybe make an adapter. The v8 dampers are dirt cheap.

I have a stock damper on my car now. It used to have 3 puley on it (i think it was from a 280zx with AC) I cut of the front 2 pulley's. This leaves me with a very light but unbalanced damper :(.

ps: I just noticed that the chevy V8 dampers